Sunday, April 14, 2019

When Hope Seems Hopeless




I hope he gets home in time
I hope he doesn’t forget,
I hope he makes it through
I hope I have no regrets,

I hope the prognosis is good
I hope there are no alarms,
 I hope she takes it in stride
I hope she keeps her calm.

I hope I get the money
I hope it comes through on time,
All this hoping seems hopeless
I hope I’m not losing my mind.

At the heart of this hoping
There is an undertone of suspicion,
Perhaps some disappointment
Has brought on this condition.


It is really like a gamble
A hope that this time I will win
But after so often losing
The hope of a win seems dim.

It is like “Please let it happen
If it does not I will die,”
And so the hope that I am hoping
Is uttered with a sigh.

It is more or less a wish
A dream I would like come true,
But I am afraid to wake up
Because I do not expect it to.


It is a very unsure hope
Like a hope against all the odds,
“I really do not qualify, I know
But I hope they give me the job.”

Here I must make a distinction
Between this hope and another,
The hope we have in Christ
Is certainly a different matter.

It is not that nebulous hope
Like the kind this poem highlights
But a certain assured comfort
Guaranteed by the Father’s might.

The arm of flesh will fail us
It’s a very frustrating hope
Hence the distress we see in people
Who are now unable to cope.


Hope thou in God I encourage
When hope appears hopeless,
He has never lost a battle
Or failed a single test.

The track record of the world
Is replete with many a failure
And the delusion of many an individual
That paints a dismal picture.

I hope you understand this poem
It is important that you do
For unless you grasp its meaning
It will mean nothing to you.

I hope my trust regarding this
Is not of the hopeless kind,
Hope thou in God I admonish
He’s been there all the time.

Stewart Russell © March 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment