Saturday, April 06, 2019

Sunday School


The Three-Step Plan to Good Discipline in the Sunday School Classroom –  APOSTOLIC INFORMATION SERVICE


 
Sunday school was a must
When I was growing up,
Fifty years hence
It’s not many people’s cup.

For me it was Sunday morning
And in the evening too:
In the morning at my church
But in the evening a relative few.

I remember Sister Estwick
A very sweet old lady
That rang her bell on Sundays
To gather everybody.

Some walked behind her
To the open-air school
Where we learned memory verses
And recited the golden rule.


We sometimes received sweets
And other confectionary
As well as Bible tracts
That told interesting stories.

The benches were kept
At a nearby residence
And though they took up much space
We weren’t charged a cent.

They were often were put out
By the first children to get there
And they were eagerly wiped off
With the most diligent care.


There are many Bible lessons
That I can still recall
Which I learnt at Sunday school
With memory passages and all.

We were always encouraged
To take Jesus into our hearts,
It was definitely at Sunday school
Where I got my Christian start.
  
We were regularly told
That if we wanted to go to heaven
We must confess our sins to Jesus
So that they could be forgiven.

At the end of each session
We sang an invitation song
But at the beginning of the service
We sang “Come Along, Come Along”.

“Into my heart, into my heart,
Come into my heart Lord Jesus,”
And O, how we would respond
Whenever we sang this chorus.

Sunday school was good to us
And kept us out of the law courts
For when it came to Sunday school
Our parents didn’t make sport.

I thank God for Sister Estwick,
Aunt Pearl and my other teachers,
Today I teach Sunday school
And I am also a preacher.

My life, though not flawless,
Has been on a godly trend,
I owe much of it to Sunday school
And the fact that I still attend.

I doubt there are many in prison
That ever attended Sunday school
But if there are any at all
Then they must have been fools.


“Bend the tree when it is young,”
That’s what Sunday school did
But certainly not for those children
That from Sunday school hid.

I did not have a choice
And I am glad that I had to go,
You see because of Sunday school
I’ve got quite a lot to show.

Stewart Russell © March 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment