Friday, June 03, 2016

The Life of A Shoe As Told By A Shoe Part 1


Image result for images of a pair of shoesI remember the occasion as if it were yesterday.  I had only been placed on the shelf the day before.  I had arrived at the store after a long trip from Brazil.  I was one of a twin and I suppose we both experienced the same misfortune but I do not presume that I can speak for my brother.  It was quite relaxing and I might add, a far cry from the dungeon-like cellar in which I journeyed from the country of my birth.  There I was sitting on the top-most shelf of the largest department store in Bridgetown, Barbados.

I was really enjoying the view and meeting the many people who indicated much interest in me.  During that one day that I had been on the shelf I went from hand to foot and back to the shelf no fewer than a hundred times.  Usually, I did not mind the fuss that they were making over me but there were times people tried to force me on a foot that was certainly much too big.  Then there were cases where I was much too big for the little feet.  Altogether, the experience was far better than being cramped in a dusty storage room with nothing to see but darkness and nothing to listen to, but the creaking of my friends, as the huge ship swayed from side to side on the briny ocean.

I had just been placed on the shelf again when in walked a distinguished looking lady with a little brat at her side.  From the time I saw him I became apprehensive.  He was pouting as he walked among the shelves looking at many of my friends.  I learnt later that he was angry because his mother would not let him have his way.  I learnt too, that she had spent much money buying shoes for him that he had destroyed in a hurry.  The way he handled the shoes that he took from the shelves made me squirm.  I was hoping that he would not come in my direction but I knew then that my wish would not come true.

As he drew closer to me I began to tremble.  Eventually he came and stood right in front of me.  His eyes scrutinized the shoes from left to right then up and down coming to rest squarely on my twin brother and me.  Then I heard his shout of glee.  “Mummy!  Mummy!  I see the pair of shoes I really want.  You must let me have them.  Please, Mummy.  I promise to take good care of them this time.”

His mother took me up and she turned me over.  “These look strong and durable but nothing is lasting, especially with the way you treat shoes.  And besides, they are too expensive.  I couldn’t buy these at that price.”

The pout with which he entered the store returned.  My spirits began to lift as I heard his mother for I certainly did not like him for a master.  I would only endure a horrible life.  Just looking at him, I could tell.  “But Mummy,” he countered, “School is next week and we have walked all through town and we have not found anything worth buying.  These are good shoes.  Look, look, see how thick the soles are!  And the leather is good and strong.  Even I couldn’t mash these up.”

“You know, I have heard those lines before and lived through this scene many times.  That’s what you say each time we go looking for shoes.   This is the fourth time for the year that I am purchasing shoes for you.  That means that you destroyed two pairs of strong shoes last term.  I can’t continue to spend money like this on you.  You need to show greater appreciation for the things you have.  Money don’t grow on trees, you know.”

I listened to every word for I knew that my future hung upon whose argument was the more convincing.  Needless to say, that little brat convinced his mother that she should buy my brother and me despite the price she had to pay.  Up to this day I still believe that $275.00 was way too much money to pay for a pair of shoes.  As soon as Andrew tried on my brother and me, there was a smug look of satisfaction on his face.  This was followed by a face of resolute determination as he refused to remove us from his feet.  “Surely you are not going to wear them out of the store?” his mother inquired, the tone of her voice indicating it was a question rather than an instruction.

Andrew did not answer.  He roughly shoved the other pair of shoes into the box and headed off to the cashier with his mother strutting along behind him.  Anyone could easily see that he was accustomed to having his own way.  I trembled at the thought of him being my master but there was nothing I could do.  My worst fears were being realized at that very moment.  I was going to have a monster for my master.
Image result for images of a 2012 toyota corolla
Mrs. Howell paid the cashier and we left the store.  The drive home was to be the best moment I would spend in Andrew’s employ.  We boarded what appeared to be a new Toyota Corolla.  I was quite comfortable as I nestled in the plush carpeting of the interior.  It appeared that the carpet was recently shampooed for it had a very pleasant scent and was very clean.  Mrs. Howell seemed especially keen about her car.  Several times I heard her tell Andrew, “ You can’t put your foot up there.  Are you crazy?  Sit properly in the car!  What do you think you are doing, boy?”  Sometimes it went on for such along time that I thought it would never end.  My master was certainly the limit.  I could see that I was in for a horrid time.  Well, there was nothing I could do about it.  From the time I was made I had had no say in the matters concerning me so I just had to take the rough with the smooth, if there was going to be any smooth.   My philosophy of living soon became, ‘what will be will be’. 

At long last we reached home.  Andrew jumped out of the car and hurried into the house.  He kicked me off at the door in such a rough manner that I fell back out on the step.  A while after, I heard Mrs. Howell say, “I do not believe this.  This could not be one of Andrew’s new pair of shoes.  This child told me how well he was going to treat these shoes and now here is one of them at the door already.  Andrew!  Andrew!” she called out to him in a voice full of impatience, “Come and put these shoes where they are supposed to be.”

“Coming, Mummy,” he shouted back.  “I just want to finish this game on the computer.”

“I want them moved right now,” Mrs. Howell ordered, her voice rising even higher.

“All right, Mummy, have it your way,” the rude brat retorted. 

“Aieee!”  I landed right on top of a pile of several of my fellow shoes.  They were all complaining of the treatment that Andrew had meted out to them.  “He is the worst,” I head one shoe say with such anger that I became even more afraid.  We were all in a corner of the room competing for space with shirts and pants, socks, belts, handkerchiefs and toys of all descriptions.

Image result for Images of dog named FriskyI had resigned myself to a life of pure misery when I heard a growling sound.  In the bedroom walked one of the nicest looking dogs I had ever seen.  He was very fluffy and, I might add, more than a little frisky too. And guess what!  Yes, you guessed correctly.  He headed straight for the pile of shoes.  Yes, you guessed right again.  He singled out handsome me for his undivided attention.  The next ten minutes were some of the worst treatment that I have ever undergone.  That frisky little dog just bit and tore at me and kicked me as he desired.   There was no one to whom I could turn for help.  My master could not care less.  He was on his computer just having a merry time with his stupid game.  I could not believe that he was allowing this to happen to the shoes that he wanted so badly only a few hours ago.  At one stage Frisky just held me by my tong and swung me from side to side.  I thought he would never stop.  “Frisky!”  That was the right name for this second monster in my life.  Thank God, it did not last forever.  Suddenly my rescuer arrived and sent him scurrying through the door. 

Mrs. Howell turned to her son and asked, “Why don’t you keep that dog out of this room?”

“Awh, Mummy, he isn’t doing anything wrong,” he replied oblivious to all that the dog had being doing.  “You just keep picking on him all the time.  And besides you’ve interrupted me and caused me to miss one the targets.  Now I have to start the game all over again.”

“Oh, well this is as good a time as any for me to draw your attention to the state of this room, or should I say pig sty?  Don’t you see how empty the drawers and the cupboards are and how full the floor is?  I want the adjustment made this minute.   Do you hear me?”

With that, she stomped out of the door and left us.  Needless to say, Andrew continued with his computer game.  One of the problems was that Mrs. Howell never stayed around long enough to enforce her instructions to Andrew.   As a result he would continue with whatever he was doing for as long as it pleased him.  More often than not, Andrew did as he liked, got whatever he wanted and did not seem to have a care in the world.  This was Andrew’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment