Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Ant-ology

 

Six legs good | Environment | The Guardian

 

I am into ant-ology

It’s nothing I enjoy

But having come face-to-face with ants,

I was instantly employed.

 

And I mean face to face

Since that is where they often are,

As the saying goes, “in your face”

Like drunkards in a bar.

 

They must be wind borne

For suddenly they are on your face,

In truth you do not see them

But their smell is easy to trace.

 

It’s an interesting smell

Like no other that I know,

Their smell is big, my friend,

But there is little else to show.

 

They are so very tiny

That they can be difficult to spot

Except it’s a white background,

Then you will see a moving dot.

 

I wonder, do they have a heart?

Do they breathe like we do?

Do they have an alimentary canal

And chew like me and you?

Tiny Ants in the House - Ehrlich's DeBugged blog

If the adults are so small

What is the size of their young?

Do they come with all the parts

Or only as they become strong?

 

I have stepped upon an ant

And it actually survived,

I was so mad that I crushed it

Then I knew for a fact it died.

 

As small as they are,

They can deliver a painful bite,

You may argue it’s a sting

And perhaps, you may be right.

 

It really doesn’t matter

Whether It’s a sting or bite,

It’s the pain that I experience

Morning, noon and night.

 

Tell me, do ants ever sleep?

And how can one tell?

Could they also have broken a leg

At any of the times they fell?

 

Or, can they fall at all,

Considering they are so light?

I guess gravity only affects them

If they’re below a certain height.

 

Well, so much for my ant-ology

It’s late so I must be gone,

If you want to know a little more

Apply for Ant-ology 101.

Stings | National Fire Ant Eradication Program

It must be no later than…

 Before or after the last bite,

Please also come with the evidence

The ant also has a right.

 

During the time I was typing

I was bitten no less than thrice,

You would think that by now they would know

That to bite is total sacrifice.

 

Stewart Russell © June 2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment