Thursday, May 02, 2024

The Old Age Book

 

Policies and Maintenance of Old Age Homes. Reality Bite by Garima Chaudhary

 

It’s not a very inviting theme

But I still dare to have a look,

Given the time that I’ve been around

I guess I’m listed in this book.

 

Seventy years the Psalmist said

And if by reason of strength, four score,

From this we must conclude

At least, seventy unlocks this door.

 

But this was in the Psalmist’s time

And maybe it’s different today

Hence my question, when does old come?

What do you have to say?

 

“You are as old as you feel,”

I have heard some of the old ones say

And others, “Age is just a number”

And you can tell by their way.

 

These advocates dress up young

 And they behave like they are young

Even though their contemporaries

Oft look at them with a frown.

 

“Why don’t they act their age?”

“Boy, they are really desperate though,”

“Why don’t they behave before the young

And a better example show?”

 

So, when does old age begin?

Tell me, I would really like to know,

Is it at fifty or sixty or seventy

Or only when it begins to show?

 

Forty or Fourty, How Do You Spell 40? | Merriam-Webster

 

Then it might be as early as forty

But we can’t go any further back,

Remember, impressions are only feelings

And they should not count as facts.

 

I must admit that I feel good

Though I’ve reached three score and ten

But if you ask when last I swam

I cannot tell you when.

 

I ride a little bit and I walk

Though not nearly as much as before

And the aches and pains remind me

To take it easy as I go.

 

No more St. Lucy treks for me

Or even the Grantley Adams Airport,

Back in the day I could easily do it

And for me then it was sport.

 

So, if I were to answer this question:

When does old age come,

Honestly, I would definitely have to say,

My youth is certainly done.

 

And it has been for a while,

For sure since I went into retirement

And I will not wine and lament-

At my age I am content.

 

I may not have answered it for you

And in a sense, I am extremely glad,

Pretend for as long as you can if you can

But old age is not all bad.

 

I get to be own-way a bit

And they wait on me hand and foot

And often they don’t know that I know

Some things I deliberately overlook.

 

Word Insane Spelled on Dice Stock Image - Image of word, black: 122392353

 

Sometimes they say I have lost it

And sometimes they are absolutely right

But often, I can tell you they don’t know

It was a purposeful oversight.

 

I get to keep them guessing,

“Is he serious or is he joking?”

You see, in my old age show I am starring

And they are merely participating.

 

I issue the scripts and the parts,

They subjectively follow my lead

And given the fact that I am in charge

I determine their speed.

Very old book Stock Photo by ©sorinus 9388846

Check the old age book

And for sure you will find my name,

Old age has caught up with me

But thank God I am still sane.

 

Stewart Russell © May 26, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment