Friday, August 24, 2018

Why Me?





“But why me?”
It was uttered with a loud sigh:
“Why not somebody else?”
As though in an attempt fate to defy.

How oft does one say
“Why me?” when things are great?
Never! But when it begins to hurt
Then life we berate.

“Why not me?” seldom happens
Since we feel that we are entitled
To the best that life can offer:
Yes! We are that kind of people.


So that when the paradigm shifts
And life hands us a lemon
“Why me?” is the selfish response
For being unfairly smitten.

I know it sounds familiar
To both the sinner and the saint,
“Why me?” is a common utterance
For both the strong and the faint.

Adversity is no respect of persons
It cares not who we are,
Like death it visits everyone:
From the stage help to the star.



That sounds rather fair to me
But it’s all right for me to talk
Until my “Why me?” time comes
And affliction begins to stalk.

Often one person’s adversity
Becomes somebody else’s yearning
That may sound rather peculiar
But let us take in some learning.

Some people’s dilemma
Is which of their outfits to wear
While for many others
A second would bring then cheer.
  
Some have several flat screen TVs
There’s one in every room
And should one begin to falter
It is replaced quite soon.

For some it doesn’t matter the extent
To which the economy recedes
They have sufficient and more
To satisfy their utmost greed.


But when something comes their way
Which possessions cannot fix
Hear the “Why me?” cry
When they are suddenly hit for six.

Believers are guilty too
As they soak up their daily blessings
But then the “Why me?” comes
In something they find distressing.



It mightn’t be anything big
But once it goes against the grain
“Why me?” is the automatic response
Once we have to hold some strain.

Don’t for one moment think
That I am exonerated,
This is just my call for help
I too need to be spiritually educated.


For when I think I am learning
I will sometimes lapse again
So this is not to knock you
But to encourage us all in Jesus’ name.

It’s in adversity that we grow
So “Why not me?” we should ask
Every time we face a trial
Since God may be prescribing that task.



I know it’s easier said than done
And I am still struggling with it
So here is my call for help
To anyone that’s well equipped.

Stewart Russell © June 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment