Saturday, April 01, 2017

It’s All Fools’ Day



Image result for Images of All Fools' Day


You won’t believe what happened to me
I wrote a poem on All Fools’ Day,
Next thing you know the poem got lost
I click the wrong button and it went away.

I know it started out something like this,
Today used to begin the year
But way back then there was a change
And now what do we have?  All Fools’ Day!

Yes April first had begun the New Year
But it was changed to first of January,
You can believe or doubt this if you wish
But this is recorded in history.

The change took place some time ago
From the Julian calendar to the Gregorian,
Some people took long before they changed
And if you haven’t by now you are a moron.

Image result for Images of All Fools' Day

From the first of the year to All Fools’ Day,
What a demotion that must have been!
A day to remember all of the world’s fools
Particularly the ones that are still on the scene.

In the past when your pipe was running
You would be inclined to chase after it
Or if it had happened to be your nose
Your neighbours would have been having a fit.

Or someone may have received a note
That sent him to the Garrison to collect a boat,
Next thing you know that silly old goat
Would be trying hard just to get that boat to float.

Or that man who was sent on an errand
To buy some post-holes already dug
He decided also on a ready dug well
So that returning would not be a humbug.

Smart fellow he was to make one trip
A fool would have made at least two,
Some wonder still how deep was the well
And the post-hole size too, don’t you?
  
I remember too at a hardware store
A man was buying some polka dot paint,
He was warned to be careful not to shake it up
At the time I found that rather quaint.

Another asked at a store to sell him a loose,
It was a loose he wanted to buy,
After a long search and much time passed by
It was found that he wanted a tie.

“It is a loose when it is on the rack,”
This he said with a very straight face,
“But around one’s neck it becomes a tie.”
Of a smile there was not the slightest trace.

Nowadays All Fools’ Day is not as popular
As it was in the days gone by,
Many don’t fall for those tricks anymore
Which were served up by the cunning and the sly.

Of course these tricks can take a dangerous turn,
The news bringer could be telling the truth
And the news receiver could very well regret
When later he sees the evidence and the proof. 

Image result for images for the tray of a truck

However there is a time I’ll never forget
Of a man riding on the tray of a truck,
Seeing a near miss he jumped in the air
But when he landed he was out of luck.

Now I know what you are thinking
Foolish me don’t know a truck from a lorry,
Whether of the twain it matters not
I know for sure that man was sorry.

Image result for Images of All Fools' Day

Thinking of April 1st I just remembered
Two of my friends were born on that day,
If you don’t believe me you can ask my wife
She was not one of them any way.

I have a feeling and perhaps you do too
That fools can come on any day,
It is what they do after they were born
And the foolish things that they say.

To end this poem I’ll give you some advice,
You may want to classify me as a fool
But don’t be too quick to make that judgment
You may very well be one of my tools.

Stewart Russell © April 1st, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment