Friday, December 18, 2015

The Christmas Craze




Image result for images of Christmas in Barbados
 
Another year has virtually gone
We’re moving towards another Christmas morn,
Life is hard and things are brown
Still Christmas money spending around.

The merchants declaring bumper sales
People buying wholesale and retail,
Hire purchased items with money burned
This coming January will be returned.

People all through town, some in a daze
Yet another sign of the Christmas craze,
Hectic already in this first phase
Just like last phase with no time to laze.

Where is the money coming from?
Why can’t I get any?  I must be dumb!
Struggling to meet my monthly bill:
Of bills up to my neck, I’ve had my fill.

Furniture from last year put outside
Must keep up with the Joneses or woe betide,
New furniture suite for the living room
Hoping the flat screen TV get there soon.

First week in December all this going on
Just back in October the money all gone,
First week in December money just appeared
And now they are spending without a care.

Image result for images of Christmas in Barbados

No intention to use last year’s lights
Finding the blown bulb is like a real fight,
One particular year it took a day and a night,
Buying new strings instead just seems right.

No end of shoes bought from before
But just for Christmas a couple pairs more,
More than six suits hanging in the closet
But wondering why the new one isn’t finished yet.

He was given the cloth way back in June
But the tailor had said that was much too soon,
Now the first week in December almost complete
Maybe he’s planning to finish it Christmas week.
  
O how I wish I could make my own clothes
Rather than depend on professionals that sew,
I really wish I were a do-it-myself -handy man
Then nobody could disrupt my Christmas plan.

I marvel at all these people though
That have important people that they know
For I am convinced that it must be so
Since at Christmas nothing stops their show.

Things here brown and life real hard
Yet freshly painted houses and spruced up yards,
Everybody trying to outdo the next person
And the children also having loads of fun

Yes, the children get in on the action too
They are part of the craze with little things to do
Like “You and your friends better stay outside,
Mess up this house and I’ll tar your hide!”

Here’s a conversation overheard in October
These neighbours in the district having a look-over
“To tell the truth,” one openly exclaimed
“I don’t have the money to paint my house again.”

“You are so right.  I too have that problem.
Looks like I will have to start my own collection.
If I am to get enough to freshen up my home
I’d better leave you all and get on my phone.”

“I always wondered how you get it done
Especially knowing that you complain so often.
Neighbours, we now know that she is a trickster
This time around we know just how to fix her.”

On the road too you had better watch out
For pedestrians jaywalking as they move about,
And motorists driving like they own the road
Just like the ZR van drivers looking for a load.

A few Christmas seasons in the past
The shoppers and buyers waited until the very last
But this year already the merchants singing a tune,
The sales hike caption in the news suggests a boom.

A caution though, as I think this through
With this spending spree what will the Government do?
They too looking for money from any avenue
There’s the likelihood of more taxes for me and you.

Are Credit Unions providing these funds?
Are overseas relatives sending more healthy sums?
Where is the money really coming from?
And why up to now I’m still getting none?

Maybe it’s because I don’t get caught up in the craze
Be it first, second or even third phase,
Since I became a pensioner I haven’t had a raise
And like the sheep, the little I get on that I graze.

So for me a little to eat and a little to drink,
Lots of time during the rush to sit and think
And wonder how without jobs and without work
People still spend at Christmas like they hit pay dirt.

I wouldn’t lie though, for I must be honest,
Of all of the festive seasons Christmas is the best,
It is truly my favourite time of the year
And I do believe every man should have his share.

So the move is on and people are in a hurry,
In the streets and stores there’s a rush and a scurry,
This Christmas craze is far too much for me
But it helps to make Christmas the best festivity.

Image result for images for Matthew 1:21

I pray as you rush to and fro this Christmas season,
You would come face to face with the Father’s reason
For sending His Son that very first Christmas day
And that you would invite Jesus into your heart to stay.

Stewart Russell © 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment