Friday, July 06, 2018

Free Fall




Down I plunged almost in free fall
There was nothing to stop me, nothing at all,
There was no cushion except for the air,
No rescue net to suddenly appear.

I had climbed quite high and dared to jump
Hoping for nothing more than a little bump
But as I fell through the air I wasn’t sure,
If I was lucky I’d be just a little sore.

It had all gone wrong, not as I’d planned
Up until that moment I was a successful man,
I had taken risks before and came out on top
What was it I had done then that now I had not?

It was not important to answer that question,
In my current trend there was one destination,
I was on course for a collision with the earth,
I suddenly regretted the occasion of my birth.

My life flashed before me; things I had done,
At the expense of people I had had loads of fun,
I was high up in life and important too
I had all things that matter to me and to you.


Falling through the air nothing mattered to me,
My yacht, my car, not even my property,
My bank account nor insurance, neither could help,
As the wind filled my lungs I couldn’t even yelp.

I thought of my wife; I wonder where she was,
I wouldn’t have time to even give her a buzz,
My son and my daughter, I was glad they couldn’t see
What was about to happen their own way daddy.



Like I said, I had climbed to quite a great height
I wanted to experience the same as a bird in flight,
I had no wings but it didn’t matter then
I did whatever I wanted and I decided when.

I always called the shots; it was left up to me,
I thought this free fall would be a delightful spree,
I don’t know what I was thinking; but I never did,
I was just impulsive and enjoyed any new gig.
  
Life had been good to me I couldn’t complain
But yet I was always doing something insane,
It was as though nothing that I had could satisfy
And consequently I searched for new things to try.


Plummeting through the air was one such thing
Without even thinking I thought I’d have a fling,
Many of my friends had done it without a snag
I could hear them now as in my face they bragged.

Whatever they did I had always done better,
That was my method to put an end to their chatter,
Even as I fell I wondered what they would say
When they finally discover this didn’t go my way.


But how was I to know that parachute was faulty?
Perhaps one of my friends was just being naughty,
The answers to such are not important now
But if I live I’ll get some answers; that’s my vow.

Live? What was I thinking? Live through this?
No doubt on the grim reaper’s page I was top of the list,
I would be next; suddenly I had no doubt
This was the precise time and moment I would fall out.

And fall out I did with a tremendous thud
But nowhere around me was there any blood,
Incredibly I recognised that I was alive
That was quite a fall but I had survived.


What I thought was the day was really the night
Don’t marvel at this; you heard me right,
The plane was my bed and the earth was the floor
I was too near the end; need I say more?

It took this dream though to help me realise
That life was far more than what I had surmised,
I recognized after coming face to face with my demise
That life without Christ is free fall in disguise.

You see my parachutes were all faulty, every one,
None of them could save me; on me that had dawned
So having struck the ground I woke from my sleep
‘Tis then I heard the words, "Come home my sheep."

My brother, my sister, though a dream is not real
I needed to relate to you that one in detail,
For had that event been real I would have been dead
And perhaps on my way to an eternal hell instead.


Without Christ in your life you are in free fall,
There’s nothing to help you, nothing at all,
While God still persists do respond to His call
"Come home my child; no longer delay; no longer stall."

Stewart Russell © 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment