Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Irresistible Sleep



 
I didn’t want to go to sleep
There was something I had to finish
But the more I thought about it
The more my senses diminished.

I looked up toward the clock
It was close to the end of the day,
I would put sleep off if I only could
But it appears I had no say.

My eyelids began to close
I literally tried to prize them open
But all I tried I just could not
It seemed a higher voice had spoken.

O how I wished I could finish
This task I had set myself
But wishing never got things done
Didn’t matter how sincere the pledge.

The truth of the matter really is
I could have accomplished this task
But when it was light I did otherwise
Now a few minutes more is all I ask.

Pen in my hand I struggled to write
As the words started coming to me,
They flowed from my brain
But my eyes now closed I could not see.

With one last resolve I tried again
If only I could open my eyes
But the lids clamped tight as in a vice
One, two, three, four tries.

The brain counted; the thoughts flowed
The fingers refused to write,
Slumber came and overpowered me
It was just about midnight.


Twenty-four hours in a given day
With lots of time to complete
But so many things vie for that time
For that time they all compete.
  
A feeble effort at prioritising
One that wasn’t near its best,
A frantic effort to fit tasks within
No wonder I failed time’s test.

An order I juggled and rearranged
As demands upon me pressed,
A wish at intervals throughout the day
To take a well deserved rest.


A little time for the mundane stuff
Well, more than a little in fact,
Caught up in a movie, two hours or so
Or listened to music track after track.


More time than planned
Spent old talking with a friend
From one topic to another
And just could not find the end.

A lunch hour that simply became two
More like two and a half to three,
A while to reflect on the little done
Like simply gazing out to sea.

Oh but I must be up and doing
Suddenly the realization strikes home
But alas most of the day is already spent
Now the problem is full blown.

So little time we are apt to complain
But is that really the case?
Wasted time is gone forever
And that time can never be replaced.


And now the day is far spent
Daylight has long gone its way,
One more task I wished I had done
But today was just not my day.

An unfinished task, maybe two or three
Confront me at the end of the day,
Remorse it seems as sleep engulfs
But a repeat is inevitably on the way.

Such is the case of our daily lives
Though opportunity beckons each day
But time will run out for each of us
If the Lord tarries we should say.

No next day to complete a task
This sleep will be different from the rest,
No efforts at opening up the eyes
‘Twill be the end of life and all its zest.

Stewart Russell © October 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment