Sunday, July 22, 2018

What a Test!




Where did I go wrong?
Where did I miss the mark?
Why have all this beset me?
Why is it so dark?

Just a short while ago
Everything was going well
Now suddenly it would seem
My life is a living hell.

Honestly I am unable to find
What sin I have done
And however I try I cannot discover
Why this trouble has come.


Not only have I sacrificed
For what I may have done
But for the sins of my daughters
And for the sins of my sons.

I have led an exemplary life
As best as I could,
I have reached out to the poor
As God said I should.

Yet misfortune after misfortune
Has dogged my life
And I haven’t a clue
Why all of this strife!

My friends accuse me
For having done some wrong
And the more I defend me
The more they come on strong.

I have lost my children
I have lost my property,
My wife is annoyed with me
Because of my misery.


I have lost my health
I am covered with sores
And when I think what else
Believe me there is more.

I cry out to God
In the hope that He will hear
That what I am going through
Is too much to bear.

The counsel from my wife
Is “Curse God and die,”
But that is one thing
That I dare not try.


For though He slay me
Yet Him will I trust,
He will redeem me
Even after I lay in the dust.

What a testing it was
That Job went through!
What a testimony he left
For both me and for you!

Stewart Russell © March 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment