Monday, July 16, 2018

Satan Comes Knocking




Satan came a knocking
He was knocking at my door,
I knew the sound of his knock
He had done so oft before.

Not once or twice or thrice
For he was quite insistent
That I should open my door
And stop my accustomed resistance.

Yes often he would come
In all sorts of forms and fashion,
To tempt me was his desire
To get me to yield was his passion.


Sometimes I eased the door open
To get a little peep
Then shut it back in a hurry
Before in my door he could creep.

Sometimes he’d wear me down
And I would leave the door ajar
But before he could enter
I would push across the bar.

Eventually it became a game
Somewhat like cat and mouse,
He would just come a knocking
Asking to enter my house.

This particular day in question
He came a knocking as usual,
He had planned in great detail
In case there was another refusal.

I was just sitting doing nothing
When I heard his first attempt,
I quickly put it out of my head
For to yield was not my bent.


The knocking became louder
It began to stir my heart,
“Just a little taste of what he offered
And then bid him to depart.”
  
Such was my initial thought
“No harm in a little taste.”
After all it was not my intention
To give him a prominent place.

“What’s wrong with a little fun?
It’s just a cat and mouse game,
I am sure I’ll be the winner
And Satan will limp away lame.”

This was just what he wanted
Enough to keep me engaged
In this battle he was waging
He was well placed at this stage.

Yes I was losing ground
I had played around too long
Now Satan was moving ahead,
In a while he’d mow me down.


I pushed the door wide open
And he simply barged right in,
My guard slipped and I was trapped
I had committed sin.

There was no heinous laugh
As some would want you believe
Just a mere nod and “I’ll be back,
Next time better you will receive.”

Satan is a master at what he does
He uses a variety of knocks,
His approaches though basically the same
Are designed to get past your blocks.

On your own he’ll eat you up
Just like the proverbial cat and mouse,
Keep your door securely locked
Don’t let him into your house.


Let me finish this episode
For really the narrative does not end,
Satan just knocks and knocks again
He can drive you round the bend.

That’s not the only time I’ve erred
And opened the door to him
But each time I’ve called on the Saviour
And repented of my sin.

I confess I am getting better
Though Satan’s knocking still persists,
I am drawing closer to my Lord
And learning how to resist.

I’m learning to spot the red flags
And differentiate between the knocks
And when slew foot comes a calling
I run to my Saviour, the Rock.

For our sin Jesus died on Calvary
But now he is alive forever more
So when Satan comes a knocking
Let Jesus answer the door.

Stewart Russell © October 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment