Saturday, July 21, 2018

Teach Me Lord




Lord teach me how to pray
As I unpack each and every day
And teach me how to walk
And step in line with my talk.

For often there is dissonance
Between my walk and talk
And my growth is undeveloped
Like an undernourished stalk.

Teach me the truth to hold
As undiluted from Thy Word
And not ever to be attracted
To the mystical and absurd.

Teach me to taste my words
In case I have to swallow them
And to always live uprightly
In the presence of all men.

Teach me to be consistent
At church as well as home
And to walk as you would guide
In the throng and when alone.

Teach me Lord and let me learn
The principles of Thy kingdom
That as I dwell here on this earth
I may reflect the life of your Son.


Teach me the foundation truths
On which my life be built
That even in the sternest test
I would not desire to quit.

Teach me to be ever faithful
In word and thought and deed
And reach out to the unfortunate
To give help in time of need.

Teach me to be always thankful
For your gift of life each day
And when disappointments come
To think of blessings on the way.
  
Teach me to share my little
With someone with less than me
For in sharing there is a witness
Of my God-given ministry.

Teach me to keep in focus
The moment this life will be o’er
And as the years should roll along
Teach me to trust you more.

Teach me to always remember
I am here only for a while
And even if the journey be long
To treat each day as the last mile.


Teach me to leave a legacy
That’s really worth remembering
One replete with kindly acts
In keeping with my Lord and King.

A legacy that shows not self-reliance
But dependence on Almighty God
And if there be nothing else to show
Let this endeavour be spread abroad.

Stewart Russell © April 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment