Sunday, July 08, 2018

“Tell Me Why”






I said a prayer
That I did not believe
I had prayed for healing
But no healing I received.

Something was wrong
Very wrong with this
But I couldn’t tell
What it was I missed.

I prayed again
And I tried to believe
But the result was the same
No healing was received.

“What is wrong?”
I wondered out loud
I was even humbled
I was not proud.

Again I prayed
With much humility
But the sickness I had
Still affected me.


“Maybe,” I thought,
“I should pray longer.”
So I diligently complied
And I believed stronger.

Yes, you guessed right
I was still not relieved
So I started to doubt
I felt I was deceived.

Maybe my faith
Was not strong enough
Maybe I needed
To be much more tough.


I gathered my wits
And I prayed again
I was more assertive
In spite of my pain.

I focused on God
And I prayed fervently
But whatever His reason
He did not heal me.

“But some get healing
Why not me?” I thought,
You guessed right again
I was more distraught.


I did not pray alone
Others prayed too
But why I wasn’t healed
I wish I knew.

Perhaps I regarded
Iniquity in my heart
So towards serious reflection
I made a start.

I thought of the persons
I may have wronged
I asked their forgiveness
And I moved along.

Then I went to God
In prayer again
But it made no difference
To my sickness and pain.

Maybe I did not give
As much as I should
So I redoubled my effort
And gave what I could.


I searched my heart
To see what I could find
And I made the adjustment
Each and every time.

Yet when I returned
To praying again
I received no relief
From my sickness or pain.
  
In pain all the time
And in discomfort too
No healing forthcoming
I wish I knew.

If God is my Father
And I am His child
Please tell me why
My healing is denied.

I posed this question
To several believers
Some had said to me
They were constant receivers.

They had a success rate
That was second to none
Once they prayed
The matter was done.

They pointed to cases
For which they had prayed
And I thought to myself,
“Where have I strayed?”


I was very convinced
Of a block to my prayer
Since I was told
That God truly cared.

I believed this too
And I really did
But I couldn’t understand
Why His mercy He hid.

I came to the conclusion
His answer was no
So I decided to give up
And go with the flow.

I still have the sickness
Up to this day
But others were healed
When they prayed.

  
Why them and not me?
I wish I knew.
Signed: a believer in Christ
And “one just like you too”.

Stewart Russell © July 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment