Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Hurting



News photographer killed on assignment in Barbados - Stabroek News

The flame was lit
And brightly it shone,
Suddenly it was extinguished
Just before dawn.

The sun was about to rise
The prospects great,
A job well done
With much to anticipate.

A day like any other
Surely, when it had begun,
Turned out unlike any other
When it was done.

A Christian young man
Taken out in his prime
Leaving questions galore
During this COVID time.

A worker on the frontline,
A young photojournalist
Quick to respond to duty
Now sadly missed.


Heart wrenching news
Of the nightmare type
As a wonderful sunlit day
Suddenly turned to night.
 
News photographer killed on assignment in Barbados - Stabroek News

“One of our very own”
The news media announced,
Suddenly robbed of his prospects
His verve and his bounce.

I cannot come to grips
As I ruminate on this,
How shattered the dreams
Of Sonia and Chris!
  
A job that in Barbados
Should be relatively safe,
Now we wonder…
After what has taken place.

He was not a police officer
As in the case of his dad,
Or joined the military forces
As is a youthful fad…

But a photojournalist
With an excitingly bright future,
Bringing the news to us
With a myriad of pictures.

Thousands of words
Painted with his camera lens
Suddenly, as of yesterday,
Coming to an end.
 
News photographer killed on assignment in Barbados - Stabroek News

In the line of duty
At another murder scene,
Taken out by a vagrant
How abhorrently obscene!

Left in its wake
Shattered family and friends,
Distraught colleagues
And questions without end.

Why? Heavenly Father,
Not unlikely the first,
Show us Heavenly Father
The blessing in this curse.

I thought at this point
To mention his name
But I am restrained by a feeling
I’d be adding to the pain.

I trust God for his family
As they sort out this riddle
For no doubt in the distant future
It will still be a puzzle.

To the other grieving family:
It’ll be no different for you,
A myriad of questions
With no clear answers in view.

Yours too headed for work
Just like any other day,
Having not the slightest clue
Of this hurdle in his way.

It proved insurmountable
Through no fault of his own,
Plunging your family and friends
Into this twilight zone.

The way forward
Will not be an easy path
But God, your heavenly Father,
Is not daunted by any task.

Draw nearer to Him,
Make him your security and defense
And trust Him with your life
When life makes no sense.

Stewart Russell © June 2020

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece. I hope you don't see it as disrespectful, but having read your post- it helped me to pen what I am feeling.
    Christoff..
    Such a beautiful soul
    I've been saying repeatedly
    It will never get old
    His smile makes me smile
    And though we weren't close
    I met him, I hugged him
    Of this I can boast.
    He was younger then,playful
    Quietly having his fun
    Fits of laughter and jokes
    Before the singing begun.
    My God! My heart screamed
    When I saw your face
    Why am I crying
    I am out of place
    After all, it's been years
    Since we lost contact
    Yet those memories are the ones
    That all rushed back.
    One of the good ones
    As I stared at an old photo
    That signature smile
    My heart screaming 'o no'
    But Christoff I also remember
    Amidst all the tears
    You had made a big decision
    That doesn't change with years
    Your soul was safe
    So I heavily sighed
    The tears are still going
    But I am full of pride.
    Well done mom and dad
    I know you've heard it before
    You honestly raised a gem
    And then some more
    I'm sorry this happened
    There's no understanding this
    We will continue to cry
    We will continue to miss.
    Hold on to God dear family
    With trembling fingers and all
    Knees bent and weakened
    Let Him stand tall
    For you and your questions
    The memories and the journey
    Dear God help them
    I know you can hear me.
    No answers, just faith
    A bleeding heart and a frown
    Yet, Christoff...? Beautiful soul...?
    Enjoy heaven. Where you belong.
    Sleep in peace.
    Leangel© 2020

    ReplyDelete