Thursday, June 04, 2020

I Am He



What Does John 18:6 Mean?

Three words to make the point
But only two were spoken,
The “he” is italicized
It was not initially written.

If you use a red-letter Bible
For the words that Jesus spoke,
The “I Am” is written in red
This is important to note.

Now that I have your attention,
Now that your curiosity is aroused,
Turn to John Chapter 18
And see where these words are housed.

It’s verse number 5 to be exact
But we must also note the context
Which tells of the betrayal of Jesus
Then the arrest that comes next.

What Does John 18:6 Mean?

In verse 4 Jesus asked the question
“Whom seek ye?”
They answered, “Jesus of Nazareth.”
To which Jesus replied, “I Am he.”

It is interesting to note
His captors fell backwards to the ground,
There is something about the “I Am 
That forcefully knocked them down.

In verse 7 the question is repeated
The answer is the same,
It appears for all intents and purposes
The “I Am” is his name.

The “he” is who they wanted
But they don't know whom they seek,
Jesus Christ was of course the “I Am”,
And he still is as we speak.

Walking with Jesus — John ‭8:58‬ ‭NKJV‬ Jesus said to them, “Most...
  
I am the light,” he said,
And “I am the living bread.”
“I am the way, the truth and life,”
“I am he that was dead.”

Before Abraham was, I Am
Are the words of Christ Jesus,
I am the door,” he also said,
And that should comfort us.

I am the resurrection,” you’d recall
Is what he said to Martha,
I am the true vine,” he also declared,
In John the 15th chapter.

Exodus 3:14-15 (CEV) 14-15 God said to Moses: I am the eternal God ...

I AM that I AM
That is Jesus Christ,
I AM that I AM
The Father’s sacrifice.

The All Powerful, the Omnipotent
The Omniscient and All Wise,
God manifested in the flesh
Yet by his own despised.

The Lamb of God
Yet the Lion of the tribe of Judah,
The I Am that will come again
For every born-again believer.

Stewart Russell © April 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment