Thursday, August 31, 2023

Another Nuisance

 

 

Are flies bothering you

Like they are tormenting me?

Send me a workable solution

And get one zapper free.

 

Oh gosh, another nuisance!

These things we call flies,

It appears that three turn up

For every one that dies.

 

Worse than mosquitoes

They fly by day and by night

And whenever fish turns up

It is their special delight.

 

Darting here and flying there

You see them everywhere,

It could be dirty or clean

They just do not care.

 

 

Overworking my zapper

That was for mosquitoes,

As soon as the zapper is in hand

They seem to know.

 

They appear a little quicker

Than the mosquito

And believe what I tell you,

They put on quite a show.

 

They go in the refrigerator

And in the deep freeze too,

They get under food towels

And make you blue.

 

The spray does not matter,

It is their deodorant,

They just hold up their wings

And enjoy the scent.

 

Meanwhile, at your wits end,

You wonder what to do,

Another swipe of the zapper

And they fly on through.

 

On the porcelain throne

With zapper in my hand,

Patiently waiting to show Mrs. Fly

Who was the man.

 

Looked like two in the room

But it was only one,

‘Blip’ when it hit the mirror

And bzzzzz, it was gone.

 

 

What you think I was doing?

No, not that time,

I was trying to zap that fly

That had me in a bind.

 

Flying behind the curtain

Slamming into the mirror,

Man, I tell you, this disgusting fly

Was giving me horrors.

 

Finally, there was a flash

Followed by a burnt-flesh smell,

Mrs. Fly was still alive

But she was not doing well.

 

I held down the switch

And the burnt smell increased,
I do not regret to announce

Mrs. Fly was now deceased.

 


 

Burnt to a crisp

Like barbecued mosquitoes,

The zapper struck again

And Mrs. Fly had to go.

 

Did God create flies?

I can’t say, without a doubt,

But this I know for certain,

They make me shout.

 

"These stupid flies!"

"Goodness gracious, another fly!"

"Where they coming from?"

And then I sigh.

 

Two things bother me:

Flies and this heat,

If you have a workable solution

Now is the time to speak.

 

Would you believe this?

I just zapped one,

It lit on my computer screen

And now it is gone.

 

It lit right on my poem

Having been sent to investigate,

Now I have to refer to that fly

As Mrs. Fly the late.

 


 

Here is photo of that fly

Lying on its back,

Seems like it is still alive

So now for a final zap!

 

Stewart Russell © August 30, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment