Sunday, August 27, 2023

Unconditional Kindness

 

What Does Luke 6:35 Mean?

 

Luke 6:35

 

But love ye your enemies,

And do good, and lend,

Hoping for nothing again;

And your reward shall be great,

And ye shall be the children of the Highest:

For he is kind unto the unthankful

And to the evil.

 

Ephesians 4:32

 

And be ye kind one to another,

Tenderhearted,

Forgiving one another,

Even as God for Christ’s sake

Hath forgiven you.

 

Unconditional kindness

Is what this poem is about,

Something, to be quite frank,

I have not yet worked out.

 

Like the verses above,

I understand what they say,

But if I truly search myself

This is really not my way.

 

Oft I am quick to criticize

Especially a fallen brother,

How could he? I ask myself,

To me it’s quite a bother.

 

It is quite natural I find

To jump on that fallen one

And to become so judgmental

That all my mercy is gone.

 

As in the emboldened verses

 This ought not to be so

But it’s easier said than done

Which you and I both know.

 

Luke 6:35 - Inspirations

  

Love towards an enemy

Is the subject of the first:

It’s the Christian kind of behavior

We ought daily to rehearse.

 

Do good and lend to our enemies

Hoping for nothing again,

The fact that it’s an enemy

Undoubtedly will cause us pain.

 

But God is kind to the unthankful

And to them that do evil,

So too, the children of the Highest,

Though oft a bitter pill.

 

And if we must for an enemy,

How much more a brother?

Since God in Christ has forgiven us,

We must forgive one another.

 

Unconditional kindness this is:

It can’t be achieved in self,

It’s a sign of Christian maturity

And a measure of spiritual health.

 

Only today I was listening

To the report of a fallen brother,

All of it posthumously so

Since the brother is no longer.

 

I felt especially for his wife

Who has to live with all this

And the believers who hammer her

Provide a lengthy list.

 

The Word of God is Like a Mirror - Tamil Christian Message - YouTube

 

In the mirror of God’s Word

How do I measure myself?

Right about now, I must admit,

An “F” for spiritual health.

 

I feel especially convicted

Though not in this particular case

But at other times in the past,

When I deemed a brother a waste.

  

Some sins we easily forgive

But others we surely do not,

Some we deem very permissible

While some we classify as rot.

 

So, my brother and my sister,

There’s much we have to do,

If these two scriptures mean anything,

We must surely change our view.

 

Stewart Russell © April 29, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment