Thursday, August 24, 2023

A Little Space

 

Elbow Room': Phrase Meaning & History✔️ 

 

Gih muh a little space,

A little elbow-room

To do the things I promised you,

 

I didn’t know it was so bad

When I committed to all

That I said I would do.

 

So much to put in place

After the mess that was made

I can scarcely believe,

 

So, a little wriggle-room

I am begging you,

It’s not meant to deceive.

 

The view that we had had

Was from the outside

But different when we got in,

 

We can now see much better

Since we got the vote

That things are very grim.

 

They had ten whole years

To make all this mess

So, we ask you to bear with us,

 

It would take just as long

Or perhaps even longer

And that is even if we rush.

 

Paint Disposal– Recycled Paint Options | Ecycle Environmental

 

But you know the adage

About rushing the brush

And how much paint is lost,

 

So, give us a chance

With our austerity measures

And learn to count the cost.

 

I was forced to call

After three and one-half years

That unexpected election,

 

But it was for good reasons

I honestly assure you

To quell some misapprehension.

 

Misapprehension

On your part

And maybe a little from my team,

 

But now that apprehension

Is out of the way

It is forward full steam!

 

Successful Belt Tightening | W-T-W.org

 

Still a little more space

I am begging you,

A little more tightening of the belt,

 

Even if you are feeling in ‘23

A little more than in 2018

After ten years what you felt.

 

It took us three and a half years

As you can see

To become really organized,

 

Oh, we were in a mess

A greater mess than we thought

You can’t imagine the size.

 

Thus, it meant

Rearranging the chairs on deck

Of the sinking ship,

 

Plus borrowing revenue

And sourcing expert personnel

To help save the new republic.

 

And I get you,

Earning, rather than borrowing?

But that is your personal view,

 

I am simply stating

 To Bajans at home and abroad

What we were forced to do.

 

Foreign reserves almost nil,

And our beautiful gem

Its flesh, picked to the bone,

 

Nothing we could do

In prospect of the republic

Nothing that was home-grown.

 

 

BestQuote - Celebrating the 100th birthday of Errol Walton... | Facebook

 

Father of Independence

I recall what you said

And I do not consider it trite

 

But in addition

To being friends of many,

We are now a roving satellite.

 

Well, there is India

And there is China,

And Africa there or thereabouts,

 

There is Trinidad and Tobago

And oil-rich Guyana

Ever since the oil shout-out!

 

Finally,

A trip to far away Dubai

With large entourage in company,

 

An exchange of culture

Theirs and ours

No doubt, of rich variety.

 

Elbow Room': Phrase Meaning & History✔️

 

Hence,

A case for space

And a little elbow-room

 

As together

My brothers and sisters

Our young republic we groom.

 

Stewart Russell © August 21, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment