Tuesday, August 08, 2023

A Visit to the Doctor

  

 

Who is General Physician and When to Consult Him? | Memon Medical Institute  Hospital

 

I visited the doctor

And he asked me what’s wrong,

I thought it a foolish question

And I immediately frowned.

 

I hesitated to answer him

And he repeated himself,

It was then that I observed

The book on his shelf.

 

It was a huge medical book

No doubt replete with answers,

An immediate check with it

Would put rest to this banter.

 

Check your book, I suggested,

And you are sure to find

The answer to that question

And what’s on my mind.

 

He looked at me and smiled,

"I am not a psychiatrist," he said,

"But you go into that room

And lie down on the bed."

 

I did just like he instructed

And thus, begun a very long wait,

I waited and waited and waited

Until it was very late.

 

Several hours later,

I heard a knock on the door,

I had read all of the magazines

And now felt quite bored.

 

"Come in," I said in my agitation

And in he came bearing a smile,

I noticed that in his hand

He was now carrying a file.

 

 Who is General Physician and When to Consult Him? | Memon Medical Institute  Hospital

 

“I did check the medical book

That you suggested to me

And I am here to share with you

So that you too could see.”

 

"So, what took you so long?

I asked this interesting man

To which he calmly responded

He had to change his plan.

 

“You were first in the queue

But you became the last

When you refused to answer

The first question I asked.

 

You came into the office

And I asked you what’s wrong

But rather than answer me

You put me down.

 

The first question I asked you

You irritatingly overlooked

And imperiously suggested to me

That I check a medical book.

 

I did as you suggested

But first, I attended all the rest

Now to share my findings with you,

You are the only one left.

 

Who is General Physician and When to Consult Him? | Memon Medical Institute  Hospital

 

Here is a rather lengthy list

I have compiled from the book.

I will leave you on your own

While you have a look.

 

Call me when you are finished,

I will be in the next room

But for your sake, my goodly fellow,

I trust that will be soon.”

 

With this he turned

Obviously about to leave

But I hurriedly stopped him

With this appeal.

 

"I am sorry sir, I said,

For trying to be smart

And not saying what was wrong

At the very start.

 

I awoke with a headache

And not feeling very strong

And it has become increasingly worse

Having to wait so long."

 

With that he examined me

And then wrote out a prescription,

I thanked him and then I left

But with a valuable lesson.

 

I need not tell you what that is

Since you are smarter than me,

But if you think you are the smartest

One day you too will see.

 

Stewart Russell © July 27, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment