Thursday, November 22, 2018

The Persistent Coolie Man


Swan Street - vintage Barbados | Old time photos, Barbados, British west  indies


“My Mother tell me to tell you
That she is not at home
And as you can very well see
I am here and all alone.”

“Do you know when she’ll be back
Or when I can call again?
This is the third time I’ve visited
And each time I’ve called in vain.”

“Let me go and ask her
Because I really do not know,
Just hold on a little longer
And then after that you can go.”

“You do not need to ask her
I will come back another time,
In the meantime go and tell her
Remember to close the blind.”

“You should never lie,”
We often would tell a child
But when the “coolie man” came
We instructed that child to lie.

Stewart Russell © November 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment