Friday, November 02, 2018

Relieved by My Mom’s Snore




I jumped with a start
There was fear in my heart,
It was early morning
And still quite dark.

 I sat up in my bed
Weird thoughts in my head,
Could it have happened?
The very thing I dread?


Then I heard the sound
Of a person in sleep,
It was my mother’s snoring
Her slumber was deep.

Her snoring was annoying
It could keep you awake,
Hence that was something
That I just could not take.

It was like a death rattle
Like soon she’d be no more
And that thought alone
Scared me to the core.


But on that occasion
It was like music to me,
Mom had not been raptured,
What a welcomed reality!

It was in my late teens
Or perhaps early twenties
And all like back then
The rapture frightened me.

I was afraid it had happened
And I had been left,
I was more afraid of the rapture
Than I was of death.


My mother is a Christian
Of that I am sure,
I knew it had not happened
When I heard her snore.

That’s the teaching I received
As I grew up in the church,
I must prepare for the rapture
Or be left in the lurch.

It is critical we be ready
For some rapture will occur,
We know Jesus will return
Though as to how we differ.

My mother is still alive
But I live with her no more,
Still I remember that early morning
When I was relieved by her snore.

Stewart Russell © October 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment