Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Not Sure Any More



I decided on the short cut
Since the alternate way was long,
I may look small
But believe you me I am strong.

I fear not a living soul
I can take care of myself
I may be on the other side of fifty
But I am still in good health.

You may wonder
Why I am telling you all this
But keep apace with me
And not a detail you will miss.


It was late going on to midnight
And I was on my way home,
My short cut was through the cemetery
I had never done this alone.

My friends and I had done it before
But we did it mainly for kicks
And they expected at these times
That I would be up to tricks.

But we would do that for fun
I wasn’t sacred of the dead,
I had always said to them
If I had to, I’d fear the living instead.

However the truth be told
I neither feared the living nor the dead
And that night in question
I knew only the dead lay up ahead.


I began to whistle a tune
As I unhurriedly walked along,
Right then a strange thing happened
Somebody was whistling the song.

At first I thought it was an echo
But that was not possible,
I decided it must be someone living
Since dead people can’t whistle.
  
Suddenly I picked up a scent
It was the scent of cigarette smoke,
Looking around I saw no one
And I decided this must be a joke.

I stopped whistling
And whoever it was stopped too,
Then someone chuckled and said,
“You really must like the view.”

Fear began to rise up in me
“Like the view?  What does he mean?”
His chuckle broke into great laughter
And then he screamed.

“Can’t you see the fire?
Can you not feel the flame?
How can you stand there gawking?
How can you do nothing about our pain?”

“Our pain?  What could he mean?
I couldn’t feel a thing”.
Suddenly there was that scream again
And then he began to sing.

He sang in plaintive tones
The same tune that I was whistling
But the words were different
From the words I use to sing.

In my ears they still ring,
“Do you remember me now I am dead?
If so sing along with me, please sing
Let me feel your love instead.

You’ll soon be joined with me
That’s the reason you are here,
Your trek through this cemetery
Is to help you for death prepare.

By then I had had enough
In a flash I shot out of there,
I don’t know if it was the living or the dead
But this I can tell you both now I fear.

Don’t ask me to explain
For your guess is as good as mine
But I know any other night in a cemetery
I would have to be dead at that time.

Not even in a group as I did before
Not if the group is big or small,
Not for a funeral that’s running late
Not another night for any reason at all.

Stewart Russell © May 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment