Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Duppy Run Me




You want to hear the truth?
Well duppy run me,
You don’t have to believe it
But I was chase by a duppy.

I could name the cemetery
So that you could go and see,
I know it for a fact
Because it happened to me.

I heard the fellows say
They actually saw it happen
But I didn’t fear the dead
So I did not feel threatened.

So I went with my fastness
To prove it for myself
And “faith” I telling the truth
I now have failing health.

I have not yet recovered
And still can’t believe my eyes,
Right in that cemetery
I almost met my demise.

It isn’t much to describe
It was like a shadow
But it was too close for comfort
So I knew I had go.


Yes duppy could run
And it faster than you or me,
That is why up to this day
I don’t know how I get free.

But let me tell you my friend
How I met this duppy,
I was passing by the gate
And I saw a light in the cemetery.
  
You know bajan malicious
So I had to investigate,
Of course it was past midnight
But I didn’t care how late.

When I got by the grave
I saw this shrouded shape,
I know it wasn’t human
It even wore a cape.

It emitted an eerie sound
Like nothing I ever heard,
I was out of there in a flash
Mark my very word.


It chased me to the gate
And out of the graveyard,
It chased me up the street
Boy I was running hard.

When I reached the church
It was still behind me,
I never looked back once
But I could sense the duppy.

All the way home it run me
Right up to my very door
And only when I got in
It didn’t chase anymore.

But peeping through the flaps
I heard it’s eerie sound
And when I heard its words
I just dropped to the ground.


“Stay out of the cemetery
In there is for the dead.”
Then that eerie sound again
And from my house it fled.

I don’t care what you feel
It was a “real-real” duppy,
I know that for a fact
Cause it actually happened to me.

Stewart Russell © November 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment