Sunday, May 05, 2019

Were I A Live Tree





Were I a live tree
I would have felt his pain,
I would have writhed and scream
As I declare to them his name.

Were I a live tree
I would have tasted his blood,
His blood that stained my trunk
But alas, I was just wood.

Were I a live tree
I would have wondered aloud
How could this madness be?
The Creator crucified by a crowd.

A crowd of ignorant people
Not knowing what they do,
A crowd of religious delinquents
Obviously without a clue.



Were I a live tree
I would have heard his groaning
As in his agony he suffered
For their very sins atoning.

Were I a live tree
And not just two pieces of wood
I would have made him
As comfortable as I could.

I would have been a comfort
And quietly by him stood
But none of this could I have done
Alas, I was just wood.



Were I a live tree
With ability to reason and think,
Of the abundance of my fruit
I would have given him to drink

Refreshing on his hottest day
Soothing to his throat
But alas, I was only wood
There was nothing in me of note.
  
None of these appealing acts
Could I have truly done
When I bore upon my body
God’s only begotten Son.

It wasn’t my place in any case
To provide these things for him,
After all my human friend
It wasn’t me that sinned.



Were I alive in this your day
This I would say to you,
If you give to him your heart
He’ll also change your view.

I’m blessed to have borne him
A pleasure unparalleled
And as a witness of his handy work
To you this day I tell.

Were I alive this moment
I would clap my hands for joy
My branches would forever praise him
And my spirit would be buoyed.



On that tree Christ was crucified
The Father suffered it to be so
For the sins of all humanity,
Now I know you know.

Stewart Russell © May 1, 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment