Saturday, May 04, 2019

A Great Idea




 
I had a great idea
At least I thought so,
I put it into action
All systems were on go.

It was a good idea
Yet void of thought
And I didn’t see the trouble
With which it was fraught.

I was raised in the church
That is all I knew,
 I was a singer and teacher
And an evangelist too.

 
But I became jealous
Yes, you wouldn’t believe
Of the aspiring converts
And how they were received.

It was like a honeymoon
What a fuss was made!
Like a baby in the family
You would be amazed.

And when they testified
I said to myself
Their experience was rich
Unlike my spiritual health.

They talked of their past
And from where God brought them,
I was always in the church
And therein was my problem.

I had no experiences
About which I could talk,
They were way ahead of me
For sure regarding their walk.

Here I was all these years
With nothing to boast about,
They had just come in
And already they could shout.

 
Which of us was the babe?
I began to wonder,
It appeared to be me
So I had much to ponder.

If I had similar experiences
I would be just like them,
Hence my great idea
That was replete with problems.

They came in with scars
Salvation could not remove,
That they went through hard times
Their testimonies did prove.

I was spared such
Having been always in church,
Why change all that
And be left in the lurch?

A dear friend of mine
Showed to me this reality
And as a result
I am sharing this testimony.

One’s past is a reminder
Regarding where he has been,
Be satisfied with the fact
That you have been redeemed.

Don’t compare testimonies
Or even progress reports,
Thank God for the fact
That He is your support.

Be grateful for the hardships
God has protected you from
And march to His timing
And not another's drum.

 
Be careful regarding the ideas
Which bombard your head,
Keep focus on Jesus
And follow him instead.
  
I’ve missed some of these guys
They are no longer around
And the frequency of such
Exponentially abounds.

Where are they to day
In their spiritual experience?
I have absolutely no idea
Ever since their absence.

But what I do know
Is that God has kept me thus far,
His testimony is true
And none comes on par.

The best experiences to get
Are those that are in Christ,
This is my current idea
And it has truly sufficed.


I had a great idea
At first I thought so
But after sound advice
That idea had to go.

Stewart Russell © April 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment