Thursday, May 02, 2019

By Name and Nature






Let me introduce myself
My name is Willy…
Actually it is Willy-Nilly
Come on now don’t be silly!

I am particularly well known
Especially in these days,
In some form or another
I influence most people’s ways.

Randomness is my specialty
I am not specifically focused
And often I am accused
Of playing hocus-pocus.

Lotto is akin to my nature
And I like blind-man cricket,
I play the numbers game
That’s how I protect my wicket.


I am Willy-Nilly
And that by name and nature
By now if you’ve been thinking
You’ve probably seen my picture.

I operate in parliament
And I function in the church
And in both of these institutions
I leave people in the lurch.

I am seen in every job
In positions high and low,
I encourage a lot of guesswork
And I hate when things flow.


I am ad hoc and haphazard
And very off and on,
Yes I am Willy-Nilly
Inconsistency is my norm.

I don’t think through a matter
I am hasty and impromptu,
I am a lucky-dip kind of person
And often don’t have a clue.

I am easy to implement
I thrive on a whim and fancy
And a glance at my disposition
Reveals I am very chancy.

I may disappoint today
But could be a hit tomorrow
Or today’s satisfaction
Could be tomorrow’s sorrow.


I am like the weather
Kind of perhaps or maybe,
By now you should have seen
Why they call me Willy-Nilly.

I am present in your life
In the hurried things you do,
I am your everyday consultant
Your counsellor and attorney too.

I open and close at random
No fixed business times at all
Morning, noon or night
At any time you can call.

Willy-Nilly, that is it
By name and by nature,
You will find me in every directory
And every daily newspaper.


I have made much money
And you can make some too,
If you want a Willy-Nilly experience
Just call me up, won’t you?

Stewart Russell © April 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment