Tuesday, October 23, 2018

An Onerous Tax





What is land tax?
 
Does anybody
Ever own a piece of land?
Yet for Barbadians
That is the general plan.

You scope around
And see a piece of land,
You pay for it with cash
Or an instalment plan.

There are a number of taxes
That you have to pay
Ranging from one to another,
This is the legal way.

It will take some years
Before it is your own
Bearing in mind
You must repay a loan.

Thereafter at a set time
And this is every year,
You must pay land tax
That does not seem fair.
 

  What is land tax?
 
How can the land be yours
If you must pay a tax,
And penalties are involved
If you allow it to lapse?

You pay land tax
When you are repaying the loan
And you continue to pay
After the land is your own.

Land tax is set
Depending on the size
And you must faithfully pay it
Until your demise.

It doesn’t end there
For someone else must pay
After you have gone,
That’s the Government’s way.
  
On the land you're paying for
You want to build a home,
Now your next challenge
Is paying a second loan.

You pay for the plan,
An expensive undertaking
And you build the home
But still continue paying.

What is land tax?
 
At the end of the project
You say, that home is mine
Notwithstanding of course
It cost a pretty dime.

The land tax becomes due
In the following year
But there is an improved value
Which is then made clear.

You now pay for the land
With the building thereon
And you pay for them both
Until you are gone.

And expect a rise
In a couple years or so,
That property is never yours,
That you should know.

A lease if you please
Might be the order of the day
For you are always paying
Each and every year.
 


 
I trust that you see
What it is I am saying,
The land can’t really be yours
If you never stop paying.

 Title deeds in your hands
The mortgage comes to an end
But that is not all,
You must still pay my friend.

Perhaps land tax
Could be for ten years or so
But thereafter, I believe
Land tax should go.

Then one could say
I own a piece of the rock
Since I no longer pay land tax
On my residential lot.

Until then my friend
I must put it to you,
If you feel you own that land
That is a misguided view.
 


 
My patriotic friends
May want to take me down,
I am patriotic too
But land tax is not sound.

You pay it when you’re repaying
The loan on the land
And thereafter land tax
Is a lifetime payment plan.

This cannot be sound
And patriotic it is not
If at some time
You can’t own a piece of this rock.

I trust the powers that be
Will address this anomaly
Even though it seems
I’m the only one that is unhappy.

Stewart Russell © June 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment