Thursday, October 18, 2018

Dreaming




 
I always dreamt before I slept
In the still watches of the night,
I dreamt of how it could have been
And how I could put it right.

O yes, I would be wide-awake
As I dreamt the night away
Hearing the clock tick the seconds
Long into the next day.

My dream would be reflective
Of the opportunities I missed
And how I planned to make it up
With my prioritized list.

Often too I would live the dream
As I lay upon my bed
Wishing and hoping all the time
It would not be just my head.

I have heard many people say
That dreaming was for the night
Not to be confused with daydreaming
When at work it wasn’t right.

Daydreaming was not permissible
So I did mine in the night
When I dreamt of what could be
To blot out my real life plight.

Often too I would go to sleep
And dream the very same dream
And then awake at the light of day
And be back to the real life scene.


How I wished it could happen
Just like it did in my dream:
The dream before I went to sleep
To off set my real life scene.

For life is more of a nightmare
When it doesn’t reflect your dream,
No wonder psychiatrists prescribe
It is sometimes good to scream.

Just like you would in a nightmare
As a result of your fright,
Do the same in your real life
As you reflect upon your plight.

For the reason that we daydream
Be it in the night or in the day,
Is when the life we currently live
Rolls out in a different way.

For I wouldn’t dream before I sleep
If I were living out my dream
For then my dream would be a nightmare
And a justified reason to scream.


I was typing this at 2:43 a.m.
When no doubt you were asleep,
I don’t know the time you’re reading now
But into my life you’ve had a peep.

The times that I am awake
When you are sleeping sound,
No doubt having your real dreams
In the land where dreams abound.

We are conscious in our daydreams
Maybe just barely
But in our dreaming when it comes
We do so unconsciously.

Permit me therefore to daydream
Especially when I do at night,
In the early watches of the morning
That’s how I deal with my plight.

Stewart Russell © July 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment