Thursday, October 04, 2018

A Poor Rich Man




Hurtling down the highway
I landed in one of the ditches,
There I was without a cent
Though I had great riches.

I thought of my good fortune
As I sped along the road,
Everything was easy street
Not a single heavy load.

My parents were well off
And I had built a lot on that
So that money was no problem
With me there was no lack.

I had recently bought the car
Probably the fourth that year,
Altogether there were six
More than enough to spare.


I was trying it out
For it had great speed,
I was way above the speed limit
When there was no need.

Unable to make the bend
It slid right off the road
Into a watery ditch,
I had lost control

I was not badly injured
But I was trapped within my car
And where the car had finally landed
From the road it was quite far.

I yelled at the top of my voice
But I knew no one would hear,
Night was closing in fast
And that’s when I began to fear.

There I was with my riches
But on me I had no money,
It was just a short journey
So I hadn’t left home with any.

  
I was forced to learn than instant
That money was not all,
Here I was in trouble
And there was no one to call.

At that very moment
It was like being without a cent,
Poor rich man came to mind
Then I knew what that meant.

There are troubles in this life
That money cannot assuage,
A friend in need is surely one
That’s when I came of age.

By what means I do not know
How he came to know my plight
But piercing through the darkness
I saw a radiant light.

In minutes I was rescued
And the car was towed away,
My life was changed forever
From that very day.

I did not even know the man
That finally came to my aid,
It was he who called the wrecker
And he didn’t want to be paid.


I told him I was rich
And he could name his price,
He said that money was not all
And he was happy to be nice.

I never saw him again
I wouldn’t even know if I had
But what he shared with me that night
Still makes my heart quite glad.

I haven’t thrown away my money
In fact I’m still quite rich
But thank God I have been rescued
From a far more dangerous ditch.

I speak of the ditch of sin
That is just off life’s highway
Awaiting the unsuspecting traveller
That has gone astray.

If you are in such a ditch
God has a rescue team,
Just call the blessed Trinity
They are always on the scene.

The Father, the Son and Spirit
Are listening for your call,
They are always on hand to help you
Once you’re conscious of your fall.

So many things get in the way
As you go hurtling along,
It could be money or even status
Or the fact that you are young.

Let none of these distractions
Come between God and your soul
For He is the only one
That can make you completely whole.

Come to Him today
If you are a poor rich man,
Accept His offer of eternal life
And claim salvation’s plan.

Stewart Russell © July 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment