Monday, May 14, 2018

An Emotional Scar


Image result for images for Matthew 22:39 

“How many times must I tell you
Not to do things like that?”
And with that I was feeling
The strap along my back.

The pain was instantaneous
I stood up ramrod straight
Then bent under the onslaught,
I think I counted eight.

Two more than the maximum
That was supposed to be six,
This offense was too serious
I knew I’d be in a fix.

She really expressed her anger
And her displeasure with me,
I was an embarrassment to her
And threatened her dignity.

Image result for images for a barbadian village

She had lived in her community
With nary the slightest flaw,
People had looked up to her
Impressed with what they saw.

Her children too were respected,
They obeyed her every request
And whenever in the community
They were at their very best.

Mother was proud of her brood,
She walked with head held high
But on this particular occasion
I caused my mom to cry.

How I wish I could have undone
The folly that I did,
I had gone from high to low
As down the slippery slope I slid.

I knew what I had done
And the only way out was to lie
And so I tried to cover up
Unaware there was a spy.
  
I don’t know what made me
Feel I could fool my mom,
She had a way of finding out
Almost before I was done.

I learnt in later years
That she had some extended eyes,
It was after this incident
That I first came to realize.

Image result for images for Matthew 22:39

Maybe you’re wondering what I did
That got mommy so annoyed,
Well you can put your mind at ease
I stole a neighbour’s toy.

It was out on his patio
And nobody else was around,
To pass up this opportunity
I’d really be a clown.

In a flash I was in and out
And up the street I ran,
At that moment unknown to me 
That was where my troubles began.

I wished I could erase
Like how it’s done on tape
But what was done was done
And that I could not escape.

Image result for images for a cat in tangled thread

Like the proverbial cat
I was caught in my tangled web,
I felt I would be better off
If I could turn up dead.

Never had I done such before
So I was in great torment,
I couldn’t take that toy to my home,
That was not my intent.

I thought I’d hide it for a while
Somewhere it couldn’t be found
And so I found a special place 
And there I set it down.

As I neared my neighbour’s house
I noticed there a crowd,
I couldn’t hear a word they said
Their voices were not loud.

As I got a little closer though
They turned and stared at me,
It was then that I realized
With them was my mommy.

She had looked none too pleased
But she could not have known,
“Nobody else was around,”
Under my breath I moaned.

My mother was no diplomat
Diplomacy was not her gift,
I had learnt that from very small
I trust you caught my drift.

Image result for images for Exodus 20:15

“Wherever you hid it,” she said,
“Go and bring it back.
In secret you thought to take it
In the open you’ll get the strap.”

The indignity I suffered
Was greater than the lashes received,
The emotional scar remained
Years after the wales had healed.

As an adult it still hurts a little
When that occasion I recall,
Even now I still wish
I could go back and erase it all.

Years after, I asked my mom
How she had come to realize,
She said, “Son, what you didn’t know
Is that I always had my spies.

Plus you had talked about that toy
How you wanted one like it
So when the information came to me
I knew you were up to tricks.

So together with our neighbours
We waited for your return.
The rest is now history
But I hope those lashes still burn.”

“Indeed they do,” I said to her
Though not in a physical way.
I still carry that emotional scar
I suffered on that day.”

It’s done me well I must confess
Never have I gone there again.
I’d rather keep on the straight and narrow
Than experience such emotional pain.

Stewart Russell © May 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment