Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Of Bases and Biases

 

Look Again!

 

They almost look alike

But there is a major difference

Though we might not spot it

In every instance.

 

And when that happens

We have ourselves to blame

And to correct the situation

We just need to look again.

 

This is not so easily done

Given our stiff-necked nature

And having a preconceived bias

Obscures the genuine picture.

 

I am all too aware

That I appear to be rambling

But don’t bet on it, I caution you

If you are into gambling.

 

And I don’t mean the Rastafarians

Who focus on the “I and I”,

For them that’s more than one

And that, we can’t deny.

Look Again Official Movie Website - Comedy  

But it’s time we see the difference

In these two often used words,

Look again I beg you

And with me you will concur.

 

It is the “I” that is different

Between the bases and one’s view

And yes, agenda gets in the pot

And really corrupts the stew.

 

It is the “I” in biases

That turns the matter on its head

And the reluctance to make a change

That error is persistently fed.

 

“This is how I see it

Never mind the fact”

And our self-opinionated mindset

Will take us to the moon and back.

Love Me Logo - Free Transparent PNG Clipart Images Download 

Yes, the difference in the words

Is simply the “I”

But this is a major difference

That none of us can deny.

 

I am the difference

And that is the confession I make

And if you are not prepared to do so too

Then maybe you are a fake.

 

We all have our biases

Which often preempt the facts,

It is the “I” I reemphasize

That is the devil on our back.

 

Stewart Russell © February 19, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment