Thursday, May 04, 2023

Making Sense of Nonsense 2

 


Making Sense of Nonsense | Women Who Live On Rocks

 

Three and one-half years in

A general election was called,

As far as I can see, fellow Barbadians,

This must have taken some gall.

 

I assume that the tendency is

To map out a five-year course

But I guess all the goals were achieved

So, a new mandate was enforced.

 

It will be five years this month

Since the 2018 election

But we are in the 2nd year of a 2nd term

And seemingly without a reason.

 

Why was an election called

With about a year and a half to go?

Madam Prime Minister of Barbados,

I surely would like to know.

 

You see, Madam PM,

Of this nonsense I am trying to make sense

And I must confess, Madam PM,

I genuinely mean no offense.

 

I know COVID-19 arose

And this was quite unexpectedly

And you had little or no wriggle room

But to decree an emergency.

 

This is why while still in COVID

I just could not understand

Why you would call an election, Madam PM,

In the midst of an emergency plan.

 

Were you scared of something else

Besides the COVID pandemic

Or was this another strategic move

So prevalent in politics?

 

Given your own policy, Madam PM

To always keep us well informed,

I must admit this one was quite a baffling

Departure from your norm.

 

I had heard some rumours

Which back then, I refused to believe

About some within your party

Questioning your right to lead.

 

To me that was such nonsense

That I dismissed it right away

Since you are an advocate for transparency

As I have heard you say.

 

And that is the reason why

Like Lieutenant Columbo I have been baffled,

Trying to make sense of that nonsense

Has been a humongous struggle.

 

Perhaps you could ease my discomfort

And simply tell me the reason why

But I do not intend to hold my breath

For this is the surest way to die.

 

Tale Weaver No 128 – 13/7/17 – Making Sense of Nonsense – Banjoher –  Mindlovemisery's Menagerie 

 

And I would like to live

For one day the reason will come out

When I will make sense of this nonsense

And that is without a doubt.

 

Stewart Russell © May 3, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment