Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Making Sense of Nonsense

 

Making Sense of Nonsense | Women Who Live On Rocks

 

“Impossible!” you say,

“It’s no way such can be done,”

But I say that we definitely have to,

Given how things are being run.

 

That is, if it's really true,

For I believe it cannot be

But if on the other hand it is true

Sooner or later we shall see.

 

Here of late, I coin the phrase,

I am “too dumb to be impressed!”

And this means I don’t understand

And won’t even bother to guess.

 

What is 400% interest

Especially on foreign loans?

Was it that ridiculous in the first place

Or over time has grown?

 

Clearly it is not simple interest;

But both compound and complex,

And if someone had done this to me

I would be violently vexed.

 

I thought I had heard recently

About loans at 1% interest

But 400% interest is a quantum leap

Hence, my present stress.

 

If it is growing at a frenetic pace

We need to quickly pay it off

If not, I tell you Madam Prime Minister,

We are in for a gigantic loss.

 

I note it is presently a concern

To you and your financial team

But please tell me how we got here

Coming off the COVID scene?

 

Were the loan terms, Madam PM,

Not clearly enumerated

Or did it appear to be such easy money

That common sense evaporated?

 

Tale Weaver No 128 – 13/7/17 – Making Sense of Nonsense – Banjoher –  Mindlovemisery's Menagerie

 

Bear with me, if you will,

As I try to make sense of nonsense,

I do not mean to be disingenuous-

Madam PM, I mean no offense.

 

I know the hold you have

On supporters local and foreign

And the lack of dissent among your team

Says to me there is a problem.

 

For one of them should have seen

This oncoming hurricane

And warn the rest of your Cabinet

The light is an oncoming train.

 

Is there a plan, I ask, Madam PM,

To settle this quadruple loan?

For this astronomical 400% interest growth

Is clearly out of our zone.

 

And, what is your expectation Madam PM,

If this matter is not addressed soon?

Will Barbados still belong to us

Or to some international tycoon?

 

Daily I am hearing rumours

Of countries being swallowed up

And I am sincerely hoping, Madam PM,

That such is not our cup.

 

 Why India Must Guard Against China's Growing Interest in Africa | OPINION

 

Be it China or India or Africa

Or even Trinidad in the Caribbean,

Friends of all and satellites of none

It’s back to the Barrow scene.

 

Uh can’t make sense, I must conclude,

Of the enormity of this interest nonsense,

400% interest on foreign loans is staggering!

Madam PM, I mean no offense.

 

Stewart Russell © May 2, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment