Monday, March 11, 2019

Why Can’t Everyone Be Like Us?




Sometimes I sit and wonder
Why people can’t be like you and me,
Why they must be so different
I am sometimes at pains to see.

Like for example a friend of ours
We just don’t see eye to eye,
We scarcely look at one another
And prefer to pass each other by.

But take you on the other hand
I like how you and I get along,
It seems we seldom disagree
And so neither of us is wrong.


If only the world were like us
 Imagine the harmony there would be,
Everyone would see eye to eye
Just like you and me.

I looked at a puzzle the other day
And no two pieces were alike,
Yet they fit so smugly together
And everything appeared quite right.

The whole picture caught my eye
Togetherness was the theme,
Though each piece was different
They created a lovely scene.



That picture causes me to think
About how I started this poem:
That because people are so different
This would be the problem.

Well that puzzle proves me wrong
It is the other way around
For if variety is the spice of life
Then diversity must be found.

If everybody were like you and me
Then we would all be stuck in a rut,
Pigs appear to be quite the same
No wonder they are always in muck.

So if at times we rub each other
It might be we’re coming together
Just like the pieces of that puzzle
That smugly fit to one another.

Stewart Russell (c) March 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment