Monday, March 25, 2019

In My Opinion



“In my opinion”…
A phrase that is very overworked,
“This is how I see it”
And the relevant information skirts.

Bill Bullard was a politician
He would have known a lot of this
And perhaps in the American Senate
Many such opinions dismissed.

He too might have used the phrase
I guess from time to time
No doubt with an aim to impress
His opinion on someone’s mind.

It sounds particularly scholarly
But it really carries no weight
Unless of course the erudite speaker
Is a colossus from some state.


But both high and low I note
Use it with great emphasis
And so too the educated and otherwise
To show something one has missed.

It matters not the topic
Be it politics, religion or philosophy,
“In my opinion” is a clincher
Usually void of modesty.

It should put an end to the argument
It’s information coming to hand,
It’s like the ace in a pack of cards
It’s the pearl in the oyster clam.

“This is really how I see it
This is just my humble opinion,
I am not asking you to agree with me
After all I am not officialdom.”

“I don’t know much about the topic
I haven’t done much research
But I too have an opinion.”
It could be in parliament or at church.


I have an opinion about your opinion
And this is just my opinion,
Your opinion in my opinion
Lacks both understanding and reason.

In the final analysis my friend
Opinion is rather superficial,
It’s the lowest form of human knowledge
Whether it comes from a novice or official.

Opinion requires no accountability
And no understanding, Bill Bullard states,
So building upon someone’s opinion
Is really playing around with fate.


You had better know for yourself
By investigating the matter thoroughly
Then take my uninformed advice
And submit your findings guardedly.

An opinion is just what it is
An assumption, a feeling or speculation,
It may be the result of composite opinions
Or simply a person’s own suspicion.

I too have had my opinions
They have changed time and time again
And I have no doubt if you’d be honest
Your experience has been the same.

So spare me your opinion
Give me some hard facts instead,
Your opinion is I might be sleeping
But I might just be lying in bed.

One opinion is worth a hundred
They are like spinning top in mud,
However, this is just my opinion
If you can do better, you should.

Stewart Russell © March 2019

“Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge.
It requires no accountability, no understanding.”
Bill Bullard



No comments:

Post a Comment