Sunday, March 17, 2019

In The Cross I Glory




I will glory in the cross
On which Christ’s blood was shed,
I will walk the path he trod
And by his hand be led.

And though I murmur and complain
I will walk with him each day
For when all is said and done
There is no better way.


Christ’s cross and not the crucifix
Shall be my abiding light
And when I am down and feeling lost
He will guide my steps aright.

I will never be ashamed
For the cross and what it means,
Daily I will gaze there on
And reflect on its saving theme.

It is through his selfless sacrifice
That today I live in him,
Freely pardon and liberated
From the debilitating power of sin.

Like an emancipated wimp was I
Prone to Satan’s charm,
Falling for his enticing deals
Ignorant of their spiritual harm.


But one day the cross loomed great
And on it I saw the Christ,
Crucified in my stead he was
For my sin and all my vice.

I should have been crucified I thought
As I recalled that song,
I am the one that should have died
Since Christ had done no wrong.

But my death could not have sufficed
For the sins of all the world,
It required the life of the sinless one
That of Christ the Living Word.

My death could not even have covered
The sins that I commit
But God chose to judge His Son
And the cross was His remit.

Men have argued about its shape
Whether a cross or stake,
Such is of no consequence to me
Compared to my sinful state.


I concur with the songwriter
And I need no other argument,
It was on some tree that Jesus died
And my salvation was his intent.

I will glory in his cross
Hewn from some forgotten tree
For ‘twas on that cross that Jesus died
He died for you and for me.

I will glory in his cross
The remains of which cannot be found,
My sins have all been washed away
And now I am glory bound.


I will glory in his cross
For one day I will see his face,
The one who paid sin’s price for me
Nailed to that cross in my place.

I will glory in his cross
For there is nothing better to do,
His life for mine, my life in him
My brother and sister, how about you?

Stewart Russell © February 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment