Friday, March 15, 2019

By Life Before Lip




 
I listened to my pastor preach
And he was as usual on song,
He had my undivided attention
Though he was a little long.


 
“Preach the word,” he admonished,
“Use words when necessary.”
From that entire message
This will likely remain with me.

I always thought that preaching
Was about the words one use
But in the spreading of God’s love
There is a better way to choose.

Before one utter a single word
One’s life must speak for Christ
It is life before lip you see
And very often life will suffice.


“What we do speak so loudly
That others do not what we say,”
So life before lip is the way to go,
It is a better evangelism way.

Action is the key, my friend,
To attract a prospective convert
And when he queries your modus operandi
Then to words you can revert.

What makes you tick he’ll likely ask
Then to him you can reply,
I am quickened by the life of Jesus
That came for my sins to die.


Because of God’s indwelling Spirit
I now live not after the flesh
But I live by the Holy Spirit
By whom everyday I am refreshed.

The explanation comes by words
But the attraction by the life we live,
So preach the word; use words when necessary
Is good advice that one should give.

Stewart Russell © March 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment