Wednesday, March 28, 2018

I Was in the Crowd


Image result for images for Jesus speaking to the crowds

Everywhere he went
He was followed by a crowd
And unlike the usual multitude
That crowd was seldom loud.

They hung upon his every word
They loved to hear him speak,
Never a man spoke like he did
And he seldom took a seat.

I know about what I speak
For I was in the crowd,
Wherever he went I had to be
To myself I had made a vow.

Something drew me close to him
At first I knew not what
But wherever you would find him
I was there on the spot.

Image result for images for the healing of the blind man

I saw him heal a blind man
And the priests were very mad,
I was there and I wondered why
For they had made me sad.

He was criticized for doing good
When he made a lame man walk,
Maybe it was just their jealousy
For all they did was talk.

I was in the crowd that day
As they ate the bread and fish,
I was satisfied with what I got
But a little more was still my wish.

Even now as I reminisce
What struck me was the taste
And the fragments were all collected,
He did not encourage waste.

This reminds me of the time
That two had made their vows,
I was at that wedding ceremony
Yes, I was in that crowd.

Image result for images for lazarus come forth
  
I was there at the tomb
When Lazarus rose from the dead,
I remember like it was now
Just a few words he had said.

I almost ran away
But everyone stood his ground,
Perhaps like me they were afraid
But to the spot they were bound.

Once he forgave a man’s sins
And the crowd was really incensed
But then he also healed the man
Showing the man was truly cleansed.

That day they showed their hate
And became particularly loud,
I perceived their evil intent
For I was also in that crowd.

I wished I had had the courage
To walk right up to him
And though I eased my way to the back
I was conscious of my sin.

I was in the crowd
Among the mourners that day
That he stopped a funeral procession
And stood squarely in the way.

There was no need for a burial
Not after the words he said,
That mother and all rejoiced
For her son was no longer dead.

Image result for images for the healing of the leper

I recalled he touched a leper,
To do such none of us would dare
But something amazing happened
The leprosy disappeared.

Yes I was in that crowd too
And it left me stupefied,
If I had not seen it for myself
By me it would have been denied.

I could go on and on
About the wonderful things he did
And often he would instruct
To keep it under the lid.

He never wanted publicity,
Popularity was not his calling
But the way he went about his mission
Was to me particularly enthralling.

There was a particular day
When the crowd was very large,
There was scarcely standing room
As the crowd around him barged.

Image result for images for the triumphal entry into Jerusalem

I was at the very front
As he came riding in the way,
Yes! I was in that very crowd
On that Palm Sunday

Unlike the other multitudes
This was a noisy crowd,
They shouted and they praised
And their hosannas were very loud.

He did not appeared bothered
As he had seemed at other times,
He just let them be
As though it were a sign.

It was a coronation fit for a king
I can still hear them shout,
“If these should hold their peace,” he said
“The stones would immediately cry out.”

So unlike the other times
When he did not want the praise,
This time he rode into Jerusalem
As they their voices raised.

I was in yet another crowd
This one with swords and staves,
They went to capture him
As though he were a knave.

Image result for images for the arrest of Jesus

A friend of his was with them
And he did something quite amiss,
He walked right up to him
And on his cheek he planted a kiss.

I distinctly heard his response
And he began it with the word 'friend',
I was there in that crowd
Even though I was not one of them.

Someone drew his sword
And cut off somebody’s ear,
Next this man restored it
He showed such loving care.

A stern rebuke was given
To the one that had used his sword,
Up to this day I still remember the effect
That resulted from His word.

He allowed himself to be taken
And I based this on what he said,
I got the impression if he wanted
One word and they’d be dead.

But he never put up a struggle
He calmly went along
And though he didn’t smile
On his face there was no frown.

Image result for images for Barabbas and Jesus

I was in the crowd that day
When they called for a thief and robber,
It was Barabbas who was released
It was Jesus whom they clobbered.

I can still hear that crowd
The same crowd that on Palm Sunday
Shouted hosannas to the Highest
Now the Barabbas chant held sway.

Give us Barabbas they shouted
But Jesus crucify!
That this man had done no wrong
Not one of them could deny.

I recalled that horrible Friday
As he carried that wretched cross,
He crumpled beneath its weight
And his rapid blood loss.

I was in that crowd
That witnessed the cruel nails
They drove in his hands and feet
And the spear his side impaled.

I saw the blood as it gushed out
And the anguish on his face
And the soldiers stood and laughed
Ignorant of their own disgrace.

I was in that crowd
That rather despicable crowd
When though with waning strength
His voice was heard particularly loud.

Image result for images for the crucifixion

I thought I knew all he meant
But then I was so mistaken
“Father forgive them,” he had said
Yes, they were forgiven.

Later I came to realize
That he meant you and me too,
We too were just as guilty
As that crucifixion crew.

I was in that crowd that saw him
When they took him from the cross,
It was at that time I began to feel
A sense of his disciples’ loss.

They returned to fishing
And I to buying their fish
But how I yearned to see him
That was my utmost wish.

I was in those crowds
But I was the silent one,
I should have spoken up for him
But I didn’t and then he was gone.

I sauntered away from the last scene
With my chin upon my chest
At the great miscarriage of justice,
And the world with all its mess.

Image result for images for the resurrection

I subsequently learnt he arose,
At first I was surprised,
Since then I was in that final crowd
That saw him to heaven rise.

That was a special crowd
That came to belief in him,
He said the way that he departed
One day he will come again.

I will be among the crowd
That will see him come again
But more in particular
The crowd that will with him reign.

That great cloud of witnesses
Of his wonderful saving grace
That will sing the song of redemption
When we look upon his face.


Stewart Russell © March 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment