Wednesday, March 07, 2018

By George and Jack


Image result for images for bajan characters 

“Hi George, what’s up?”
“The clouds and the sky, Jack.”
“You know I don’t mean that.”
“So what do you mean Ole Chap?”

“Since I last saw you
You like you went overseas,
You appear particularly careful
About dotting “I’s” and crossing “T’s”.”

“You are so right Jack,
A lot of your lingo I don’t understand
So speak to me in the Queen’s English
Now that I am back in the land.”

“How long were you overseas?”
“None of your business, I must declare.”
“I like I touch a raw nerve, my brother.”
“You are not my brother; of that be aware.”

“I am trying to remember
The last time I talk to you.
Probably just a couple a weeks
Or at best, maybe a few.”

“Tell me Jack
What’s the point you are trying to make?
Make it quick
For I really don’t want to be late.”

“You have really changed,
By George, I must admit.
You were always a little strange
But now you are a twit.

Image result for images for bajan characters

I remember when
We used to be very good friends
But it seems to me
That something happened to caused that to end.”

“Well Jack that may be so
But I want you to know
That I have moved on.
Sorry if it is such a hard blow.”
  
“By George, you are crazy,
I mean crazy as in mad.
And today is a sad day
I mean real, real sad.

If you went away
It could not be for long
But you turn up with a different hymnbook
And singing a new song.”

“Well I tell you Jack,
That’s the problem with the world.
Stuck in your ways won’t get you far.
There, I said it, I hope you heard”

“But tell me for sure George,
You went overseas?
Cause the way you behaving
You don’t look too please.

I am hearing a little twang,
I am not sure of the accent.
It could be Yankie or Canadian
Or may be a little English bent.

Tell me the truth, George
You just come back?”
“I have already told you, boy
It’s none of your business, Jack.”

“Who you calling boy?
You need to show some respect!
I am much older than you
And behind your ears still very wet.”

Look I dry behind my ears
Whenever I take a bath
So the nonsense you talking
Isn’t even worth a laugh.

I know for sure
You’ve never left this rock
But I have at least once,
Of that you can take stock.”

“Congratulations George!
Now I know for sure that you went away.
At least you could tell me where you went
And how long was your stay.”

“None of your malicious business,
I told you that before
So Jack, get out of my face,
You’re becoming a bore.

I was up in a State
If you really must know,
If you can qualify for a Visa
You too can go.

I came back in today
And I have not been home yet.
I caught an airport bus
And I also got wet.

As you have picked up
I am not really pleased
Since my pick-up never arrived
And you are a tease.

Image result for bajan chattel house

If you do not mind
I must hurry on home.
I guess you do remember,
I live alone.”

“Man I am so sorry, George
But you could a call me.
I would a come straight away
And not even charge you a fee.”

“Wait!  You got a car now?
Why I din even know.
All these years you is my friend
And you couldn’t tell me so?

Wonder of wonders
Look who got a car!
But Jack you had a bicycle for years
And you used to ride real far!

If I had known
I would have called from the airport.
I really would have called
You know I don’t make sport.

What model car is it?
And is the body strong?”
I hope it’s not too old, you know.
Have you had it long?”

“Very long indeed
And it’s a reliable three speed
And as regards a de the model?
It’s a dependable Hercules.”

“Hercules?  Where have I heard of such before?
Is it a Nissan, Toyota or Ford?”
“I will tell you, George so you can go on home
Cause right now I am the one who’s getting bored.

Image result for images for an old hercules bicycle

A Hercules is a bicycle, man.
Just like a Raleigh or a Humber,
Perhaps when you were up in the States
Your brain went into slumber.

But how long you went way for?
You en tell me yet.
And by the way, if I did pick you on my Hercules
You would a still get wet.”

Yuh see you forget
Though you remember that I use to ride far.
But it was you and me
And you used to be in the bar.

So tell me quick
And then go long home
Right up de hill there
Where de grass overgrown.”

“I never left.”
“What is it you say?
You got to be kidding me
You mean you never left ‘bout hey?”

“I went to the airport
But the flight missed me.
Nobody told me
I had to pay a departure fee.

I was low on cash,
I didn’t have a cent
So I spent a couple days up there
And then home I was sent.”

I was too ashamed
To come back so soon
Cause I knew when you find out
I would be doomed.

So here I am on my way home
Moving on up the Hill where de grass is overgrown.
Not much luggage as you can see
Since I never really left de country.”

Image result for bajan chattel house

“Never really left?
You mean you ain’t went no way
But come bout hey putting on a accent
Trying to fool me today.

By George, I have done better than that
I am proud to tell.
I went on a fishing boat
Just beyond the swell.

And bring back fish too
Which is very unlike you,
Cause the airport is as far as you went
And all you bring back is a mix-up accent.

And tell a big lie too
Saying you went up in a State
Then come hey wet from head to toe
And playing you talking poor great.”

But I was in a real state, Jack,
Only that I was speaking ‘bout my condition.
It is you who thought
That I did mean a destination.

George eventually went away
And Jack was with him too
When they both went adrift
And was picked up by a fishing boat crew.

They were flown back to Barbados
And you should know where they went
If I told you they came back home
Without boat or fish and not one red cent.

Not much luggage as you can see
Only the clothes on their back
But now they can boast that they went overseas
Congratulation to my friends “By George and Jack”!



Stewart Russell © June, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment