Tuesday, October 13, 2020

I Want to Be Me

 


I like it this way

And you like it that,

This is where I am

And that’s where you’re at.

 

I like some things

And that makes me, me,

You like some things

And that I can see.

 

I can’t be you

And you can’t be me,

There are some differences

That together we see.

 

If I could be you

And you could be me

We would still be different-

And that, exactly.

 

What makes me, me

Is what makes you, you,

The differences, I mean,

Therein is the clue.

 


 

The exact same differences

If you see what I mean,

That’s what we gripe about

In case you hadn’t seen.

 

I do it this way

And you do it that way

And though both work out

We quarrel all day.

 

What makes us different

Is what makes us alike

But it’s the same very thing

Over which we fight.

  

We appreciate variety

When it’s our idea,

Change when I change

That is the only way.

 

If you want a clone

Go look in the mirror,

In any case I believe

That’s the person you favour.

 


 

Let me do the same

So that I can remain unique,

For, for me to be you

Is an impossible feat.

 

If I could be you

And you could be me

It would just be an exchange

That’s all it would be.

 

Unless…

You want me to be you

And you remain unchanged,

Two of you in the world!!!

Wouldn’t that be strange?

 

So, I like it this way

And you like it that,

This is where I am

And that’s where you’re at.

 

I do it my way

And that makes me, me;

You do it your way

And let me be.

 

Stewart Russell © August 2020

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment