Friday, October 16, 2020

And the Mystery Number is…

 

Texas RedHeaded Centipede

 

Here is a question

I have for you

And when you find the answer

You’ll know what to do.

 

It is a simple question

If you can count

And I believe that you can

To any amount.

 

I used the word amount

To get the lines to rhyme

But I know I will use number

The very next time.

 

Find the exact number

That answers this question

And use it as the remedy

For a centipede problem.

 

Centipedes have evolved complex venom five separate times | Natural History  Museum

 

What is the only number

That every centipede knows?

Once it meets that number

It becomes a no-show.

 

It is a single-digit number

Between one and ten,

I will post this poem at some point

And you can tell me then.

 

Between one and ten

Should make it a simple riddle,

If you get the spelling wrong

You’ll solve this puzzle.

 

ants-cockroaches - Absolute Bird and Pest Control

 

It works for centipedes,

For ants and roaches too,

And if you dare mess with it

It will also take out you.

  

If you speak like a bajan

That will be too strong

And if you say it like the English

You’ll still get it wrong.

 

Centipedes detest it

And it will take out any roach

Once it is lying around

And either dare to encroach.

 

Sing to 10" - Learn Counting Numbers 1 to 10, Baby Toddler Learning Nursery  Rhymes - YouTube  

 

The principal clue

Is between one and ten

When that number shows up

You will know it then.

 

Unless, of course,

You are not so bright;

Just a simple single-digit number

And you can’t get it right.

 

If you can’t figure it out

Ask a centipede,

Once it bites or stings you

You will definitely feel.

 

Suddenly you will think

Of the hardware store

And that number will come up…

Need I say more?

 

And the mystery number is…

No, I can’t tell you,

If I do all of the work

What will you do?

 

Stewart Russell © October 15, 2020

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment