Monday, August 06, 2018

WOW! I Did It!




There were many of us
This was in fact a race for life
Before us were many obstacles
You can’t imagine the strife

On your mark! Set! Boom!
The noise of a gun
And we were off and swimming
What a run!

We jostled for room
After a frenetic dive
Into the pool we had landed
And into overdrive

I was conscious of my competition
But I couldn’t call any by name
That didn’t matter to me
I was on top of my game

They headed to the front
I stayed back a little
I decided there and then
I must conserve my vittles


Oh I was charged up
And rearing to go
But for the time being
I would just swim with the flow

There was only one prize
Yes that meant only one of us
So you would understand
That one prize was our focus

I did not volunteer for this
I was actually forced
That’s when it appeared to me
This was par for the course

At first we had momentum
Like we were being pushed along
I was enjoying this
I had felt so strong
  
Almost suddenly though
The momentum just left
And that’s when I noticed
Some competitors took a rest

They were not ready for this
It was like bitter sweet
The sweet was at the beginning
Now the bitter was defeat

At first it looked like a pool
But it became a swamp
Now we were really struggling
When at first we had romped


After the dive in we took off
With that initial squirt
Now as the plot was thickening
We all began to hurt

There were so many obstacles
We were severely thwarted
More than once along the course
I wish I had aborted

But struggled on I did
My confidence beginning to wane
That’s when I recognized
There is a point to being insane

By this time many had given up
Things had become real bad
And to continue in this swamp
I would have to be mad

Backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly
All of these I did
Yes I had to be versatile
As I continued in my bid

The curves and tunnels were many
It was like swimming in a tube
If ever you stopped to rest
After that you couldn’t move

I paced myself really well
I was intent on winning
And though I wasn’t sure what
I wanted it from the beginning

Isn’t that particularly strange?
Racing for a prize?
Not knowing what it is
But relishing the surprise?

My speed had actually picked up
I was swimming against time
I was not really sure what it was
But I felt it in my mind

It was as if timing was the key
The key was being on time
Not too early or not too late
And the prize at that time I’d find


Suddenly I began to get some signals
They were coming pretty strong
It was as though I was nearing the point
And the prize for which I longed

To my left and to my right
Many of my competitors were there
I began to wonder for to me
The winner was not clear

Suddenly with a surge
And one not entirely of my own
I was drawn across the line
Yes!  I did it!  I was home!


I alone had made it
I had won the prize
The naked truth of the matter is
I was the only one to survive

Actually I am still around
Of course not in the same form
To have continued like that
Would not have been the norm

When I met up with my prize
A metamorphosis took place
Now I know from where I came
Since my origin I can trace

None that started out with me
Is still around today
You may say that’s unfortunate
But sometimes that is nature’s way


That event was long ago
As a matter of fact over six decades
WOW!  I did it!  I must admit
Having swum the Everglades

Stewart Russell © May 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment