Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Old Age





Somebody once said
“Old age is a brute.”
Maybe his or her experience
Went along that route.

That might be personal
And not across the board
But there are old people
I most definitely adore.

At times they can be grumpy
And sometimes a little forgetful
But that is also the case
With us “not-so-old” people.


Notice that I said us:
You might want to question that
But where does old age begin?
To me it’s not a clear-cut fact.

Maybe old age begins
Just about where youth ends,
Exactly where that is
I still can’t tell my friend.

Maybe it’s the first grey hairs
But I know that isn’t so,
Some youth have grey hairs
And why? I don’t exactly know.

When I was growing up
Old age was on reaching fifty
But having passed that age
I am now a little shifty.


It’s one hundred for sure
The nineties and eighties too
But regarding the seventies
I have a different view.

Some people in the eighties
Behave more like sixty,
They really look quite as good
And they dress attractively.

I have a friend
And she still drives quite fast,
Next year is her ninetieth
Eighty she has long passed.

I have another friend
He is almost ninety-three
And he can drive just as well
As either you or me.

Of course there are others
And their memory often fails
But I do not knock them
For that is a small detail.

They can remember
Things from way back,
It is mostly recent memory
Where they show their lack.

A caution here though:
Be careful what you sow
For what we will become
Not one of us really knows.

Sometimes we call them wicked
And stubborn like mules,
Some will even go further
And call them grumpy old fools.


But let us bless God for them
And the contribution they’ve made
For the benefits we now enjoy
Came by the way they paved.

They weren’t always old
But once they too were young
And given the work they did
They must have been very strong.

The age they were before
We are there right now,
And to make the way better for us
They had actually vowed.

So let us make it easier
And comfort them in their pain,
Even a word of encouragement
Will help to ease the strain.


And give them a helping hand
Where and whenever we can
For old age is still a blessing
From God’s almighty’s hand.

Stewart Russell © July 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment