Friday, August 17, 2018

Nuts about Nuts




I am nuts about nuts
Especially the peanut
From the top of my head
Right down to my foot.

For over a year
I had decided no nuts,
My cholesterol was rising
I was caught in a rut.


So for a year or so
I hadn’t eaten a peanut
My cholesterol came down
And peanuts I forsook.

I distinctly remember
Another peanut matter:
My peanut butter sandwich
Was less bread more butter.


But that terrible addiction
I had put far behind me
Though occasionally I ate
The nuts from a tree.

Almond nuts and walnuts
Cashew nuts and hazelnuts
But peanuts were my past
I was out of that rut.


After a long time
I decided to take a chance,
I would eat mixed nuts
With a few peanuts to enhance.

And before long
Yea you guessed it right
It’s now an everyday thing
How I wish I might!

I mean control myself
And eating so many peanuts,
For exactly like before
I am back in the rut.

  
No peanut butter though
And it has been years
I have not allowed that delicacy
To even come near.

Cashew Trail Mix Roasted Salted – Cashews, Peanuts, Raisins

For the last few months
I’ve been on raisins and nuts
I even keep them in the car
That’s how serious the rut.

O that I could eat
Just one pack every week
Instead of a pack a day,
Oh the outlook is bleak!


Seriously though, I must fight
This terrible peanut urge
So that I don’t encounter again
That cholesterol scourge.

I certainly do not want
To deal with that again
But to avoid peanuts
Oh that’s a colossal strain!


Help me! Please help me
To control myself
And cut back on the peanuts
And thus maintain my health.

Meanwhile I’ll finish this bag
And then it’s a pack a week,
If only I could
That would be a treat!

Persistence is the key
And also the will to resist,
Though I haven’t started yet
Already my peanuts I miss.



For I am nuts about nuts
Especially the peanut,
From the top of my head
Right down to my foot.

Stewart Russell © August 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment