Saturday, April 07, 2018

“CTLV”

Image result for images for guess my name


I am a household name
Known the country wide,
Whenever I am mentioned
It is woe betide.

Very few people like me
Soon you’ll see why
I’m seen as a necessary evil
That most will defy.

I have been around
For thousands of years,
You could wish all you want
I won’t soon disappear.

As long as there is life
This terrestrial side of heaven
I will be criticized and despised
I will never be forgiven.

Image result for images for guess my name

I come in different forms
And I have many names
But whichever one you call
People will still complain.

Sometimes I can be direct
But mostly I am indirect,
It doesn’t matter the approach I take
People will still fret.

I’m unmoved by their complaints
For I have a job to do,
I am not looking for friends
And I don’t care about their view.

Of course I am filthy rich
And filthy is the operative term
Not because of my enormous wealth
But how I make people squirm.

Whenever they hear my name
They become quite unsettled
And if they were coming forward fast
They suddenly back pedal.

Image result for images for a pit bull  

I am worse than my bark
I am more known for my bite,
In many a big man’s heart
I will often caused him fright. 

I have a faithful group of friends
Oh, just a comparative few
They make decisions concerning me
But on their behalf too.

I would have mentioned before
I am known by many names
But never mind which one is used
It brings a constant drain.

Image result for images for sin

I know I have you guessing
And you thought that I was Sin
But the chance of escaping me
In this life is pretty slim.

I am a household name
They talk about me all day
And I would be executed tomorrow
If some people had their way.

The most that they could do
Is to attempt to reduce my effect
But this day in which we live
That they certainly reject.

And so I get richer and richer
As I take from everyone,
The more you make the more I take
Sort me out before the money is gone.

Image result for images for guess my name

Are you getting brighter now?
No, it’s not the Government,
Sorry if I misled you
That was not my intent.

One of my names begins with “C”
My surname commences with “T”
Another starts with the letter “L”
And even one with the initial “V”

That may have put you right on track
Or perhaps it set you back
But the list makes known the fact
Of names I have no lack.

Time to wind this poem down
I never intended it to be long,
Perhaps on this the twentieth verse
You would say that I was wrong.

Image result for images for a bible

You will find me in the Bible
Under a name beginning with “T”
There a group was very grateful 
For the benefits they derived from me.

The fact of the matter really is
I am greatly needed; that’s the truth,
Look around you at all I give
And therein you’ll find the proof.

By now you should have guessed
The name by which I am known,
Short or long you’ll know it’s me
Wherever you may roam.

I’m like a plague that some avoid
But all find me hard to shun,
They call me Tax for my shorter name
But I am really TAXATION.

Stewart Russell © November 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment