Tuesday, April 10, 2018

If Looks Could Kill



Image result for images for the wake-up and make-up faces
 
Have you ever thought about this?
Sir, Dame, Mister or Miss,
What is the standard for good looks?
Do supply me with your sources or books.

We refer to someone as good looking
And to another person as ugly
By what standard do we measure?
Or from where do we derive this authority?

Someone has beautiful eyes or teeth
Another has a nice looking nose,
She has a most angelic face
And he looks so handsome in his clothes.

Her face could launch a thousand ships
His would stop planes from flying
And we are adamant that we can tell the difference
So much so that it’s no use denying.

Love at first sight is a result of a face
A face that brightens up our space
And before long we are head over heels
All inhibitions vanishing without a trace.

And it appears to me as I analyse each case
That short men like me could never be handsome
For it takes a tall man to be classified as such
In a contest a short man has never won.

Image result for images for a black girl with long hair

I remember too when long hair was the thing;
I don’t mean bought extensions and such,
A girl was as beautiful as the length of her hair
But these days she does not have to have much.

Image result for images for short negro hair

There was a time too when short hair was picky
And knotted up hair was a crime
But now these are considered glamorous styles
In this era or modern time.

The benchmark has changed from time to time
And all of us seem to comply
For the measure by which good looks are measured
None of us dare deny.
  
There must be some built in device
By which each and everyone tends to agree
For whatever classification one person decides
It appears it is what everyone else sees.

Well, I have come to that place
Where for me nobody God has made is ugly
But some will laugh me to scorn
Because I consider that every girl is pretty.

Image result for images for the wake-up and make-up faces

But what is the use if beauty is only skin deep
And you hide away when you wake up from sleep?
Why, you would be one pretentious creep
And would live to regret it when he has his first peep.

More often than not, it’s a face upon a face
That hides up the first one without a trace
And when the first comes off and the next is revealed
It’s a case of mistaken identity once concealed.

If looks could kill I would be dead,
I didn’t keep your secret; I disclosed it instead
And now you are mad at me I know
But everybody is beautiful; God made us so.

Stewart Russell © 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment