Sunday, February 04, 2018

Love Trumps Duty


Image result for images for 1John 4:7

Duty says I must
Love says it’s in my DNA
I just can’t help but love
That’s just my way

Duty says it’s my job
I’m paid for doing such
Love Says with me it’s automatic
That’s just how much

Duty says I will if I can
What more can one expect?
A lot more says love
I don’t choose or reject

Image result for images for 1John 4:7

Duty says I must love
After all God says I must
Love says loving is what I do
Regardless of the fuss

Duty says there’s a reward
I want to have it
Love says I just do
It’s my habit

Duty says there’re times I can’t
Especially when life’s not fair
Love says I love in spite of
That’s how much I care

Duty says I am tired
And I really need a rest
Love says when I am tired
That’s when I’m at my best

Image result for images for time frames

Duty says I like time frames
I work well in shifts
Love says I work all day
Mending all of life’s rifts

Duty says I must place restraints
That is my edict
Love says in my nature
There is definitely no limit

Duty says I make sacrifices
I am noted for that
Love says I am the sacrifice
That’s a biblical fact

Duty says I keep the law
 Every jot and every tittle
Love says but of the spirit
You demonstrate very little

Duty says I am reliable
Whenever I am given a task
Love says to be available every time
Is the minimum that love asks

Image result for images for 1John 4:7

Duty says I am the drive
That ensures the job is done
Love says I am the person
Yes I am God’s Holy Son

Love held me to a cross
Duty nailed me there
Love released me from death’s grip
Duty lied because of fear

Love made a way for man
Duty obscures that view
Love is calling even today
Duty says there is much to do

For God so loved
He gave His only Son
And whosoever accepts him
Is saved from the wrath to come

Much ado before heeding love’s call
I can’t for duty’s sake
Blinded by merit in my own eyes
Love’s invitation I cannot take

Image result for images for 1John 4:7

When we respond to love
Duty falls into line
Duty is not bad in itself
But love trumps it every time.


Stewart Russell © February 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment