Saturday, December 16, 2017

Hurry And Munch



Just a little lightness
To Take the strain away
And remind the general public
We didn't eat ham everyday.

Not that we want to go back
To living in that time
But just a little humour 
To free up the troubled mind. 

Image result for images of a leg ham

National Social Responsibility Levy
And the Christmas leg ham
 A two-sided problem
We’re all trying to understand.

Hurry And Munch
Not too sure this time...
Ham real expensive
Especially the Farmer’s Choice kind.

Image result for images for a farmer's choice ham

Having said this
The following don’t you miss!
Snake for a replacement
Yes, from a grunt to a hiss.

At a bank in Bim
Bank officer and client:
A conversation therein
Both are particularly defiant.

Image result for images for a conversation

“Good morning, Mam.”
“Good morning, Sir.
What can I do for you?”
The bank officer purrs.

“Not much,” the client replies
Encouraged by her tone,
“I thought I would come by
And get a bank loan.”

“Loans are what we do,
That’s why we are here.
Say how much you want
That’s how much we care.

Tell me your particulars
Your name and address
And if you are employed
Then put your mind at rest.

Just guarantee the payback
Of the loan we will give
For we exist
So that you can live.”

Image result for images for a conversation

“I am glad I came here,
You are so kind,
I was certain this Christmas
Not a leg ham would be mine.

When I had almost given up
I was told to go to the bank
And now I am here
 I have you to thank.

With the advent of the NRSL
Up went the price of a ham
And still these merchants asking
For as much as they can.


Image result for images of a leg ham


My mind is on a leg
That is my favourite part
I just absolutely like a leg ham
With all of my heart.”

“Do you have a job, Sir?”
“No, I get lay off.”
“So how do you expect to buy a ham
At the astronomic cost?”

“Now you can see, Mam
Why I come to you.
I know full well
You would see my view.”

Image result for images for a conversation

“How much do you want
To borrow from this bank?
It can’t be much,
I have to be frank.”

“Fifty for a bottle of gas
And four-fifty for the ham:
Five hundred in all,
I’m so grateful to you, Mam.”

“Well, pay back will be
Fifty a week in 16 weeks time
So you can have your leg ham
And for Christmas dine.”

“Wow! Over four hundred cash
To buy a leg ham
Or eight hundred hire purchase
Through a four-month plan.


Image result for images of a leg ham

Hurry And Munch
All those who still can
With another rise in the NRSL
Just a few would have a leg ham.

As for the five hundred, Mam
Cancel that loan.
With some cheese and biscuits
I can manage on my own.

I have a personal responsibility
To eat everyday
But this social responsibility
Getting in my way.

I want to be patriotic
And to be social too
But a leg HAM and the NRSL
Are two opposing views.

Enjoy your Christmas
Even without the leg ham
And thank God for another year,
A good day to you, Mam.”


Stewart Russell © December 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment