Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Road to Pot Holes


Image result for images for the rainbow

Today I will write about pots
Write about what?
Yes you heard me correctly
I will do so directly and indirectly.

English is so very amusing
And at times it is so confusing
And for a fact I know you know
About the pot of gold by the rainbow.

Do you see what I mean?
Yes, pot number 1 on the scene
The pot of gold nobody has found
After looking up and down and all around.

Of course you can pot down the chicken
For pot number 2 to be finger licking,
By now you must be salivating
 So I just felt that fact needed stating.

Pot number 3 is the saucepan
Like a one-pot of which I am a fan
Everything is mixed up into one
Of that I can tell you I am very fond.

Image result for images for barbados buckpot 

Pot number 4 is the buck-pot
I am not surprised you asked me what,
I am not even sure of the spelling
But the duck is ready; someone is yelling!

Cohobblopot is like a carnival
It is one of several bajan festivals
Lest I forget that is pot number five
Soon the premiere pot will arrive.

The plant pot is very common
It’s the pot before pot number 7
And just in case you’re in a fix
This makes the plant pot number 6.

Pot number 7 is a starved out puppy
One that should be put out of its misery,
Commonly known as a pot-starver
This cur is a regular spot for flies to harbour.
  
This brings us to pot number 8
I’ll soon be through; it’s getting late,
Potbelly might just be a matter of taste
That shows up around a person’s waist.

Pot number 9 is closer to home
That and pot number 10 together roam
Potluck is of the habitual kind
Like having misfortune all of the time.

Image result for images for potholes in Barbados 

Last but surely not least is pot number 10
Potluck and potholes must be a blend
Potholes is really a troubling matter
As along on our roads you’ll find them scatter.

Some are deep and some are shallow
When you avoid one a next one will follow
The effect on the car is a continuous rattle
Compliments of course: the pothole battle.

Image result for images for potholes in Barbados

It’s true our roads are in a wretched state
But on the potholes do not concentrate,
Though they are many do not despair
But of our network of roads do be aware.

Sounds familiar? I hope it does
When this was pointed out it caused a buzz,
While I appreciate our many roads
Potholes are causing us a financial load.

Shocks, bottom arms and so much more
These potholes are becoming a part of folklore
In fact I can recall a calypso or two
That focused on potholes; I am sure you do,

Four shocks are what I have to get
The results of some pothole foes I met
Day in and day out this is a fret
And up to now I don’t have the money yet.

Image result for images for potholes in Barbados

And this pothole patching if I may call it that
Is not doing much good and that’s a fact,
Filled in one day next day they’re back
Especially if it rains truly this is crap.

Nine pots I have passed before this one
Eight were no trouble but they are gone,
Potluck and pothole remain in co-
And together they are causing considerable woe.

Consider if you’re travelling late one night
And a tyre blows out, O what a fright!
Particularly if you are a female and all alone
And there is no charge left on your phone.

Image result for images for potholes in Barbados 

What if the cause were a huge pothole?
What if you collided with a utility pole?
What if something more terrible happens
Far more serious than a tyre being flattened?

Potholes can throw up many varied scenarios
Depending on time and place and event
So it is all right to praise our road networks
But these potholes I absolutely resent.

I contend $400 or more as an annual road tax
Should rid us of these pothole traps
And the fact that we are a tourist attraction
We should pay potholes more attention.

Some pots are good; some pots are bad
Potbelly’s a problem and pot starver is sad
But potholes are potluck and that’s a fact
I pray the authorities will soon deal with that.

Stewart Russell © December 2

No comments:

Post a Comment